Clear all

New Guitar Requires Setup

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@beaner)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I finally bought my first electric. I bought a Yamaha SA500, semi hollow. I'd tried a few but ended up buying one from a store where I had never tried one (for a couple of reasons). When I get it home the low E string is really buzzy unfretted, and the 3 high strings all buzz when fretted at the first fret, but don't seem to anywhere else. I figure it needs a setup, but I get the impression that this isn't the sort of thing that the dealer would do. Why not? Why should I need to take it to a luthier?

I only got this impression from reading posts over time. Obviously I'm not keen to spend another AU$100 getting it setup when I just spent nearly AU$650 on the guitar.

How should I approach this?

Regards,
Paul

(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Speak to the dealer, most dealers I've dealt with will do a free setup if you purchase a guitar from them. Its good that you played it a bit so now you know what needs to be fixed, tell the dealer.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

standard practice of any guitar dealer is a set up with a new guitar sale AND one free adjustment within the year.
during the year break in period it is common for things to change ever so slightly.
people are afraid to ask.
go. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just to update:

I emailed the manager and he told me to bring it in. I did and they were happy to set it up and even threw in a new set of (cheapish) strings. They had it for nearly a fortnight though. But all's good now.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@chrisc)
Eminent Member

Ah, I'm beginning to think about changing the action on my first acoustic, and I hadn't thought of taking my guitar back to the dealer -- thanks for the idea causnorign. But I wonder if I can shop around for a setup... how do you find guitar techs? Being a novice, I'm afraid to tackle this myself just yet, even on my relatively cheap Yamaha FG700S. Any ideas, folks?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, three things come to mind right off the bat. Call your local store and ask them for recomendations, ask any fellow players you might know who they'd recomend or google your town/area for luthiers.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote