Clear all

New Nut? ~Please Help~

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The 4th on my Gibson Les Paul keeps "popping" out of place everytime I do a full bend with the 3rd string.... Is this an indication that I may need a new nut? Should I take it to Guitar Center?

Thanks!

Michelle

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

What keeps popping loose?Your 4th fret? or the nut ?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

opps.... sorry...(didn't notice I had a typing error).... Anyway, the 4th string keeps popping out of place....

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Sounds like the nut isn't cut deep enough for the string. Take it in to a luthier and have them file it a little deeper. Make sure they're good, if they take too much off it'll fark up your action on that string.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You may have accidently changed string gauges if you've recently put new ones on. A lighter set will probably do the trick.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No....I don't think so...... Cuz it did that before I even changed the strings that came from the factory......

ReplyQuote