Nils' Web Site

16 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I didn't know where else to post this but since it relates to guitar maintenance, I chose here.

I just spent some time going thru Nils' Web Site.

Nice job, Nils.

Your tech area is great. I don't feel so "dumb" about guitar setup or string changing.

I also printed off some of your chord charts and other documentation.

Thanks for having a great site!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I didn't know where else to post this but since it relates to guitar maintenance, I chose here.

I just spent some time going thru Nils' Web Site.

Nice job, Nils.

Your tech area is great. I don't feel so "dumb" about guitar setup or string changing.

I also printed off some of your chord charts and other documentation.

Thanks for having a great site!!

Thanks bish. I really do appreciate the feedback.

It started off as just a repository for stuff I used and reference frequently and kind of evolved with recommendations from GN members.

I am always looking for input and if you or anyone else can think of what I could add, remove or improve please let me know. I want this to help others as it did me.

For instance, I know the strumming page may be getting stale (especially my clips :lol: ) so I may start working on that page.

Thanks again

Nils

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Hi Nils

I've used your site too, thanks.

One comment, you could put the measurements in mm's as well as inches as that would save some of us from having to work it out

5thou = 0.127mm
10thou = 0.254mm
15thou = 0.381mm

3/64 = 1.191mm
4/64 = 1.588mm
5/64 = 1.984mm
6/64 = 2.381mm

I think 1 inch = 25.4mm, so I think the above are correct.

Okay, its a picky comment, but there you go.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Good idea. Will do.

EDIT: Done

Question? Should I be rounding up or down the mm. Just seems weird to me to tell someone to got to exactly 1.984mm for 5/64". In other words would it be better to make it 5/64" = 2 mm.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I would round off two decimal places - as in your example I would report 1.98 mm.

BS

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I would round off two decimal places - as in your example I would report 1.98 mm.

BS
I was just thinking of this because the smallest increments on my ruler are 1mm and that seems to be close enough for the guitar adjustments.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I think what you've done is perfect.

Now, fly over to the UK, come to my house, set up my guitar and teach me to play it.

What do you mean - 'no'? :lol:

If you do I 'might' let you ride my Triumph:
http://www.richard-halford.co.uk/triumph/major_service.htm

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think what you've done is perfect.

Now, fly over to the UK, come to my house, set up my guitar and teach me to play it.

What do you mean - 'no'? :lol:

If you do I 'might' let you ride my Triumph:
http://www.richard-halford.co.uk/triumph/major_service.htm
I would love to fly over, do the setup, go for a ride etc. (had a Triumph myself). It's been 10 years since I have been there. I use to go over 2 or 3 times a year for about 10 years then I changed jobs and don't get to go anymore. I love the country, love the people, and love the beer (order interchangeable).

I did have a problem driving on the other side of the road but more when I got back here. Over there I had to think. I made a suggestion that they switch to driving on the other side but that it should be phased in. Trucks first :lol: :twisted:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

The reason I suggested two decimal places is that digital calipers reads millimeters to two decimal places. That is the measuring tool some use.

Bob

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The reason I suggested two decimal places is that digital calipers reads millimeters to two decimal places. That is the measuring tool some use.

BobDone

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nils. Again, I'm going to have to say thank you for your web site.

I received my Les Paul yesterday. It's very disturbing to receive new gear at work. Due to that fact, I required myself to take a half day to go home and break this bad boy in.

When I tried tuning it up and become acquainted with it, the tuning didn't seem right. I used a chromatic tuner on it and it tuned up fine. But playing barre chords was horrendous. I researched it to the Low E. Playing barre chords except the open E were off. The low E string was a half step off everywhere else on the fret board. I'm thinking this is different.

So I looked up Nils's setup page and used the guide to make some small adjustments. I first lowered the low E end of the bridge, (noticing an improvement in action) and also noticing the strings were all whacked out now. I retuned them. OK, next we'll tackle some intonation issues. Intonation which was something I knew nothing about until this week. DOH!

I actually started messing with it before reviewing the web page but figured I better use it as a guide in case of trouble. After some minor experimentation and loosening and retuning the strings I was able to get rid of that anamoly. If I wouldn't have had Nil's guide I might not have ever known what was wrong with this guitar and either set it in the corner discouraged or sent it back and given up. Needless to say I'm not scared to attempt this sort of self mod on my own at all now.

To get to the point. This guitar has been in my possession for roughly 24 hours and it's now staying in tune and playing as expected. I think I'm over the hump and on my way to more great music.

Great guide there, Nils. Thanks a bunch!!

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Great guide there, Nils. Thanks a bunch!!

Congrats on the Les Paul, enjoy it. I love my LP.

I am always happy to hear that something on my web page helps others.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So maybe you could smile a little? :wink: :wink:

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

So maybe you could smile a little? :wink: :wink:

Your right. I should smile more. Thanks for reminding me.

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: 8)

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Nils, I just realized that I never put in a response to this post. But, your site is the only one I use when I am trying to find something technical out about my guitar such as changing strings. I cant tell you how great it is to be able to go to one source for the kind of information and atleast know if its something I want to tackle or not. Plus, all the extras you have one your site for reference. Its a great reference site and I also appreciate the hard work you probably put into it.

Thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2