7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
 cfo
(@cfo)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

We just picked up a double guitar stand. There was a big warning stating not safe for guitars with a nitrocellulose-finish. How do I know if we have this finish?

We have:
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Showmaster
Taylor 414ce

Thanks!

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

You can check what models have what kind of finish by googling the manufacturers specs- in general, though, nitrocellulose is a high-end finish, used on a lot of more expensive instruments.

Your American strat definitely has a nitrocelulose finish.

Your Squier definitely doesn't.

I don't know about the other two- but it sounds like the stand you bought has something about it that you want to protect your better guitars from. (No idea why.) I'd put the squier on the stand.

Best,
Justin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi. The problem is the rubber, or likely surgical tubing used as a cradle on the stand. Yes, it melts into a Nitrocellulose lacquered guitar, and I'd call that a reaction with Nitro! So, the Nitrocellulose acts as a bit of a solvent and breaks down the rubber and reacts with that, also vice versa... the contents of the tubing bothers the nitro, as I first said, and melts it or leaves marks. In my guesstimation, that brown rubber tubing is natural gum rubber, straight from the hevea milk of the tree, like latex, no sulfur, and never any lead added as in black rubbers. But there is also some relationship with naptha in rubber, which is unclear. Also, natural rubber does not have a very long long life, it degenerates and cracks from the environment alone.

I have a number of Nitro guitars , and at least a couple of them are Strats. A warning came out for my 1980 Nitro Strat several years after it was made, when observations became publicized, that the guitars (other people's, including mine), were soaking up the dye from the poodle lining in the cases, which was orange BTW. I don't like it, but it is still pretty and kind of peachy and marbled, so minor, like the white guitar is blushing a bit.

Anyhow, your Strat is not nitro, not being an Artist or Signature series, or Vintage Re-issue it is a polyester enamel, not even a thin skin, but a thick skin. Your Showmaster could be nitro, so if I were you I would check into that. But, if it is made in Korea as I suspect, definitely poly. The Squier is not, and the Taylor could be an acrylic or a water-based lacquer, similar to Rickenbacker's pioneering finish - you can read all about it on Ric's website, but I don't know what Taylor has to say about it. Nitro is so rarely used, and isn't green or earth-friendly, and it isn't good for the human respiratory system either, so it is mostly banned from use. It very rarely, and almost never is used for acoustic guitars.

Ricky won't say it any more, they are being increasing secretive or giving us the silent treatment, and being mysterious at the same time. But I read before, and as far as I am concerned, their finish is 100 percent acrylic. Ditto for Taylor! http://www.rickenbacker.com/factory_finish.asp
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/finish/Overview.aspx

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian678)

Hello,just want you to know what guitar polish or wax should i buy
If my guitar has a nitroclluelose finish."THANKS"

treatment-for-depression

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Dunlop Formula 65 is what I use, and it made it to the top of the recommended list, just ahead of Meguiar's on a top 3 site, by some guitar guru who tested and recommended a few - sorry I'm not looking for his opinion, I just recommend it myself.

Lacquered guitars are getting rare but I'm taking care of a Lucille and her brother Les Paul and I trust the Formula 65. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My Gibson Les Pauls have the finish. Beats me why they make stands that would ruin them, but one of mine got the neck messed up by a stand. It was the cheaper one but still, not a pleasant suprise. I know better now but a little too late. I only buy stands that are safe now although most of my guitars have an acrylic finish. When the Gibby does come out to play, I need to know it is safe. Ahhh, it's things like this that make me fond of the cheapies. :roll: No stress in using them.

Oh, I'm a fan of Hercules stands. Used to think they were overpriced. The wife got me one for Christmas a couple of years back. I was like, thats nice but they seen you coming. Best stand I ever owned, she got me the double one this year. They are quality.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Unless there is a really nasty amount of indescribable gunk on your guitar, a rub down with a micro fibre cloth will clean it up without any need for artificial aids.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote