Notifications
Clear all

No one can fix my guitar's neck

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jsr46)
Topic starter  

Last spring after a very humid day the '70's Guild electric I bought new began fretting out on the top strings and the D string had a weird bell like tone. I paid $150 for a set up but they couldn't get the 1st or D strings to sound clean, even when they aren't being fretted. I took it back and to be checked at Guitar Center. He checked the string height with a metal ruler and said the frets are clear. All any one can say is try heavier strings which didn't help much. I never heard of a guitar that can't be fixed. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Somewhere between the nut and the bridge something is touching those two strings,
either a fret or the pickups . Did you try raising the bridge ? Or lowering the pickups ?

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@jsr46)
Topic starter  

The pickups weren't touching but I raised the saddles which helped a little but the problem's still there. I'm thinking of getting a fret file and filing the frets above the 12th where the neck raises a little. I've never done that but I guess it's not too difficult.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-file)

Hi.Sounds like you need to loosen the truss rod and try a set of lighter strings.

ReplyQuote