Clear all

No standby switch...

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just read that if you have a tube amp you should put it in standby for about 30 secs before putting on the main power otherwise the results can vary from annoying to expensive. My amp does not have a standby switch so what would be the best thing to do as a kinda substitute?

Cheers!

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are plenty of tube devices without standby switch, that don't seem to suffer any harm - radios, hifis, etc.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member

Have the volume down all the way when you turn it on for about a minute.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Yup, just turn the volume down and that will do it. The tubes need to warm up before they ill work properly (Thats the main reason why they glow all the time execpt for when they are workignreally hard then there will be even more glow) the Filaments (Just like a light bulbe but not as bright since they are only used for the heat not the light) need the minute or so to warm the tube up. If your into radio (Like mentioned before ) you definitly are accoustomed to tubes. I own an HW-101 made by Heathkit (You build it youreself though, it a kit) made in the late 60's thats only has two transistors (Solid state) the rest are tubes. Ill include a pic so you can see what im talking about. The recommended time for warming all the tubes up is 30 Minutes!!! so the radio will be stable. obviosly outdated but i love the radio! There is an old saying that is used for amatuer radios that goes

When you run with glass (Tubes) , You run with class."

But that can be applied to guitars too since they sound a lot better than solid state in many cases... it more of personal oppionion though. But anyway just keep the volume down for a minut or so to let them warm up and youl be fine.

This bad boy really pushes out some power, especially with two "final" tubes in the RF cage to the back left. Now.. not that they are Caged off.... they are 4 times the size of any other tube in this radio. though their are ones that are about $1500 each that are the size of a gallon jug... but i dont own any of those!

Good luck with keeping the tubes sounding great!

Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There is an old saying that is used for amatuer radios that goes

Heh -- I guess a TWTA would be microwave tube nirvana for you, KB1LQC. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2005 02:49 Post subject:
bstguitarist wrote:
There is an old saying that is used for amatuer radios that goes

Heh -- I guess a TWTA would be microwave tube nirvana for you, KB1LQC. Wink
TWTA?

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Traveling wave tube amplifier: Used in satellites and high power terrestrial microwave transmitters. Mucho $$$$ and somewhat esoteric AFA tube electonics go ... lame techie humor.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys :D

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

wow surprised they use tubes in some sattelites... they burn out like lightbulbs, just not as often but they do.... doesnt sound like they are made to be in spae for long lol. No porblem and good luck with the amp, Im actually studying up on my Electronic Theory (Ohms Law, Kirchof's Law, Etc) gonna eventually try and design my own little tube amp!

Good luck
Bstguitarist

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

High power/ high frequency transmitters will use a TWTA (traveling wave tube amplifier) Magnatron, Klystron or Cavity Ocilator for the output stage. These are all a kind of tube. Phased array radars use many small solid state devices that have an additive effect to create large amounts of power.

I've been a Radar/Microwave tech for the last 27 years. Nothing there your going to use with a guitar or a ham raido for that matter. We are currently replacing TWTA's with Klystrons as the major manufacturer of TWTAs has gone out of bussness.

A standby switch will apply filament voltage to the tubes without plate voltage. I have several old tube radio receivers that I have restored for the fun and I've installed standby switches on the ones I use regularly (listning to a 1952 Grundig SW/AM receiver right now).

There are those who will disagree with this aproach to leaving tubes on filament standby. I had a disscussion with another tube affecinato on this board over this and we have agreed to disagree on this point. No electronics geek war this time, truce.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. No war. I've got an amp with no standby, too (and as was said, lots of old tube radios, TV, etc. with no standby), and they work fine. I think it's good advice to turn the volume down on turnon, but I just refrain from whanging on my guitar till the amp warms up.

Speaking of cool old tube gear, I'm working on a Hammond M3 organ.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

but I just refrain from whanging on my guitar till the amp warms up

That's what I do too... plug in, turn the guitar volume all the way down, power up, and wait for a bit. My old Fender amp doesn't have a standby switch.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Speaking of cool old tube gear, I'm working on a Hammond M3 organ.

Getting radios shiped up here costs enough I'd hate to think what it would cost to get an organ shiped to Alaska. Fun project I'd wager.

The next thing I've got is a Marconni spectrum analizer that I picked up at a surplus auction. Don't know what I'm going to do with it after I get it rebuilt but I'll be the only kid on the block with one. Goes right along with the Edison company echo box.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For those of you that may believe you have to have a standby switch/mode (no judgement rendered on this): The current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine discusses replacement of the standard power switch with a 3-position (center off) DPDT switch to add a standby mode. It's in the amp questions column.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I also have a standby-less amp... is it standard to hear a reasonably loud pop when you turn it off? Any tricks there, guys?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2