Clear all

Noisy patch bay

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@b3ans)
Topic starter  

Can anyone help with a wiring query?

I've built a small patch bay for my pedal board consisting of a plastic PCB box containing 8 ¼” mono jacks wired directly together in pairs.

It works but sounds bad, excessive noise etc.

The jacks are wired together with insulated copper wire and solder, not sure what kind; just a bit I had available

Can anyone suggest what I can do to reduce the noise? Should I use a certain kind of wire or solder to improve the sound quality?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts

Thanks

b3ans

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

More info required: Describe the noise. Hum? Scratching? Hissing? While playing? Not playing? While wiggling the plugs?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Shouldn't the cables be shielded by a braid?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@b3ans)
Topic starter  

Hi there

I tested the box by plugging the gtr into one side of the pair of jacks and the other into the amp. Upon plugging in I got a quite high pitched buzz & hum, it ‘sounds' like ‘electricity', sorry for the vagaries. The noise is there when I don't play and continues at the same level when I do, increasing in volume as I turn up the amp.

I repeated this for all pairs of jacks in the box and got the same result. I haven't done a wiggle test as such because I heard the noise it was making and thought, stop here, something isn't right.

Cheers

b3ans

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Short runs between jacks shouldn't normally require shielding. How long are the wires between jacks? If more than a couple inches (5 cm) change over to shielded audio cable for the connections: Center conductor to the the tip (hot) and braid (shield) to the ring (ground or earth). Also: Make sure you are not crossing hot and ground wiring from one jack to the next.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@b3ans)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response

The wires are probably about 5 to 6 cm in length,

I was probably misleading in the last post, it's not jacks I'm having problems with, it's jack sockets, so I guess audio cable with a centre and shield is not the right kind of wire for the job as I need to connect the tabs of each socket together that are separate, not like a jack plug where barrel and tip are together as you have suggested.

Have included a pic of the things I'm trying to connect if this is any use?

Cheers again!!

b3ans

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

socket = jack. the other half is only called a plug.

I understood you correctly, and do mean to use a cable with a center and shield for the socket (jack, as you've pictured) connections. This requires peeling away the braid and twisting it together to form a thick wire off to the side of the center conductor. It's sometimes challenging for newbies, but is a common practice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@b3ans)
Topic starter  

You are certainly right! I don't know my arse from my elbow and have never tried anything like this before. 1st time I've pickup up a solderig iron since the school days!

OK, I understand where you're going, I'll give this a try.

Thanks for all your help

b3ans

ReplyQuote