Clear all

Nut File Kits

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Who do you folks reccommend for a but file kit? Any particular brand to stay away from? Any particular brand to look for?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

This is something I have been looking into as well; I want to start doing some building in a month or so, & will be using blanks & have to cut/file them myself. I have read on a few forums & other sites that guys have been using welding torch cleaners & they seem to work.

I guess they would be ok for dressing/smoothing a nut groove, but I don't know about making new grooves in virgin stock. Seems like you would need the right tool for that! 8) Anyway, at $100 + for a small nut file set, I'm not sure I wanna dump that much dough into it.

I'll be interested to see what the other members have to say about it.

Roy - are you dressing nuts or making grooves in new stock?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey Katmetal,

I'm just filing one groove down. A low E string on my accoustic is too high.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

for a quickie, low cost nut saw - not really a file, get a set of blade feeler gauges and serrate the edges of whichever gauge blades are needed by using the corner edge of a "regular" hand file. Blade feeler gauge are tough stuff, so it takes a bit of doing to make these. even roughing up the edge of a feeler blade turns it into a saw. once done they will start and deepen slots quite well, and do it without widening beyond the width of the feeler gauge -- because it's a saw, not a file. if I use one of these, I widen the top of the slot a bit with a triangular precision file (cheap set from Home Depot or Lowes) to prevent string binding.

others may suggest using an old wound string as a cutter or saw. that won't cut a fresh nut very well or help for the smaller (unwound) gauges. however, these can help widen and shape the bottom of an existing or roughly cut nut slot.

I have a set of nut files from Stew-Mac. I use these about 50% of the time, and the homemade saws the other. one nice thing about the Stew-Mac files is they cut a curved bottom into the slot, and this better matched the string's circular cross-section.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I too own Stewmac nut files. Seem to work well.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah yes, Stew Mac. I knew there was a place everyone favored.

I think, for financial reasons, that I'm going to create the saw thing gnease spoke of. Still, I will someday get me some of the toys, er, tools on this page. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles.html I'm thinking the kit, which includes the files, along with the "New" slotting gauge and the string lifter(/snapper).

Thanks guys!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Yup, price is a major contributing factor. I'm awaiting my new Stewmac crowning file. I think Stewmac gets a kickback from shipping as one file cost $8.50 to ship :(

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

There is also Warmoth who have a set of files that are less pricey. I haven't used them, so I can't comment on the quality difference.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kent_eh. That looks more attractive price-wise. Warmoth is a reputable name, I think.

I saw a set of cheapo angle files at a flea market Sunday. I thought about it........ briefly ....and decided it was not worth the risk.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yup, price is a major contributing factor. I'm awaiting my new Stewmac crowning file. I think Stewmac gets a kickback from shipping as one file cost $8.50 to ship :(
Shipping is maddening. I just ordered a new diaphram and ring assembly for my Litman Cardiology II SE stethescope, the thing is the size of a silver dollar and made of rubber and plastic ..... $10 shipping! I knew they would just mail it in an envelope so I ordered some scrubbs too. Oh yeah ... this is a guitar forum. :lol: I went the cheap nut file route, Lowes precision files and an Exacto knife saw set. Worked OK too.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote