7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

2 Questions...
I've got an old acoustic guitar in which the neck angle is just beginning to get out of hand, the bridge is just beginning to lift, and the top is just beginning to curve. The guitar has no brand marked on it, and isn't my main acoustic guitar, but i'd like to get it playable. The truss rod won't fix the neck any further, and the saddle can't really be lowered much more. What can be done?
Also, (and this is hypothetical), but it is possible to put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic guitar? I know that it might not sound as good because of the heavier bracing on a steel string, but physically would it work?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You should take it to a luthier(unless you are a luthier!), he ll probably fix it up for a wad of cash. And no, it is impossible because classical string dont have a ball at the end, you have to tie a knot. thats the reason classical guitars have different bridges the steel stringers.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

With the acoustic, I meant like are there any small things I could do, since it isn't worth spending money on.
About the classical strings, what if you could get some with ball ends, or find some way to fasten them at the bridge. Are there any other conflicts.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

With the acoustic, I meant like are there any small things I could do, since it isn't worth spending money on.
About the classical strings, what if you could get some with ball ends, or find some way to fasten them at the bridge. Are there any other conflicts.

They do make classical strings with ball ends. I like them a lot, because I failed knot tying in boy scouts. In all seriousness, yes, there is one huge problem with putting nylons on a steel string guitar, and that is that the nut slots will be way too thin. Can't say for sure about the sound, but it will probably be... different.

I guess I would try and diagnose the actual problem first: Is the bracing coming off, is the wood warping from wetness?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Give up is the best advice I can give.

You are looking at hundreds of dollars of repairs to make it playable.

Yes you can get ball end classical strings, however, they will not have enough tension to properly drive the top.

You could get silk and steel strings, which would be better.

Look into a JLD bridge doctor. You can get one for about $30 and that might fix the bellying of the top.

ReplyQuote
(@bobgay)

Have you looked into Nashville tuning. They use the octave strings of a twelve string set. It sounds cool and would relieve some of the tension on the bridge and neck.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, after examining it further, it turns out that the neck is warped(twisted), and since that seems like a huge repair if even possible, i'm just going to play the acoustic that I have, and make this one into a slide guitar(the action is perfect for that!!!)

As for the classical strings, it was just something I had been wondering about...

ReplyQuote