Clear all

Old Kay Guitar - Restore or Improve?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@robert-johnson)
Topic starter  

Sirs:

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I have an old Kay solid body electric guitar circa 1965. I paid $15 for it and a tube amp many years ago.

It is in relatively good shape, but electronics are bad. Old wooden bridge has deteriorated. I am fully capable of putting new pickups and electronics in this guitar. It would be an improvement. I am fully capable of changing the old bridge out to a Gibson style tune-a-matic bridge.

Similar guitars of this vintage go for 3-400 dollars. If I improved the guitar to make it a better guitar, would I destroy the value?

(@alangreen)

Restore - it might cost you more but there's a potential good sale value for it.

"Improved" is a subjective term. Serious collectors (those with money) might call it "butchered"

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@robert-johnson)
Topic starter  

I realize there are odd zealots out there that want to always see the status quo from old stuff. They want old comic books that have never been read, scratched up furniture and toys that have never been played with. Then they will put this stuff in a collection area and look at it , I guess.

I'd like to still use this guitar. I could see new pickups as an improvement. The 50 year old pots are scratchy. There is no intonation adjustment which I would have with a replacement bridge. I could save the old parts to restore the guitar in its broken condition. Would this be satisfactory to the potential oddball collector?

"Form follows function." I think it would be better to have a "butchered" guitar that works. Thanks for the response.

ReplyQuote