Clear all

OUT OF TUNE... PLEASSSEE HELP!!

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@michal)
Topic starter  

guys!! i'm facing a dilema!!!

i play guitar and so does my sister. except she play's on a junior guitar.

it was totally out of tune, so i lent her my electronic tuner that turns green when you hit the right note, so that she can get it back on track. except, now that she's done, everything sounds even worse, and way outta wack...

what do i do?! she needs to practice for a test on monday!!!

the setting was on "guitar" not on bass, and honestly, she used it properly...

is there any difference between a adult's guitar and a kids' guitar, that i should know about? ... any ideas on how to fix it? i'm too new at guitar myself to know how to tune it by ear... :(

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

are you sure you tuned it to the right notes? it should read (from the lowest or thickest string to highest) E, A, D, G, B, e. If you did tune it to those notes and it sounds bad then it sounds like your tuner is broken.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You ight have your octaves wrong on some notes. If you've got a microphone attached to your computer download the AP Guitar tuner it's free and will show you which octave your in. Here it is http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/AP_Guitar_Tuner/

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Either...

A. she did not use it right some how some way
B. you were so use to hearing it wrong that right now sounds wrong

More then likely it was not used correctly. Some tuners can be confusing if you are not use to using them, but I've never heard of a tuner being out of tune. I have a chromatic Sabine and a Boss TU-12 + their pedal tuner too. There's several websites that have online tuners if you want to tune by ear... like Whole Note.

My suggestion is to go back and loosen all the strings until you know they are all way flat, and start over 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 top to bottom as you hold the guitar in the playing position E - A - D - G - B - E. Then go back and fine tune once you are done. Make sure the tuner isn't set for flat or double flat or some open tuning (though that would sound good) and the calibration on the tuner is set at the standard 440... if that can even be changed on your tuner.

If they still sound bad, take the guitar with the tuner to a music store and have someone change the strings on it using your tuner. Plus if she doesn't know how to change strings, then she can learn.

Good luck.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Tune your guitar properly then tune that one to it! U both need to learn how to use your ears

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@michal)
Topic starter  

Thanks Everyone!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The guitar may actually be in tune but the intonation in off.

Those smaller guitar's are little harder to intonate because of the size.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I think I heard some where to shoeter scale guitar are tuned higher, just like longer scale guitars are tuned lower?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

my classical ( 18 frets) and my friend's ibanez (22 frets) are tuned IDENTICALLY, but the classical's frets are closer together, by a amount unnoticable by the eye. its all scale lengh.

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

Well baritone guitars tend to be tuned lower, and usually have a scale length around 27-30" long and usually heavier gauge strings.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

never heard of a baritone guitar.. you mean a bass?
it doesnt matter what yo tune to, if the intonation/scale length is off, it needs to be fixed. you cant have a guitar with offset frets. it doesnt matter if its baritone or soprano.. it holds true that the twelfth fret is in the middle, and al the harmonics are relative to that. i tune my regular gitars down to DGCFAd adn the intonation is not much different, but thats because of tension not length.. i fix this problem by putting on thicker strings.
the pont is that the little guirtar you speak of just needs to be tuned well. since it is smaller, you may want to put smaller guage strings on it, but its not tuned differently, just det up differently.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Baritone guitars fall between regular guitars and basses. It is possible that the strings are floppy because the guitar was meant to be tuned to a higher pitch. Make sure you've got appropriately gauged strings on there. Also, It's very likely that it's intonated wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

some small guitars are tuned different. I think it is a half step higher. If you look in the musicians friend catalog at the mini guitars they are tuned different.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Tacoma papoose is tuned with the low string at A.

ReplyQuote