Notifications
Clear all

Phasing Issue?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@soupman24)
Topic starter  

Hello, I just finished putting together my first attempt at a guitar with Warmoth body and neck.

it's a Tele with Fender Noiseless tele pups in the bridge and neck, and a Lace Sensor Light Blue strat pup in the middle position. We used a 5 way switch. Everything sounds great, but when I'm in the 2 or 4 positions the volume is about cut in half. I was told by someone at my local guitar shop that this means the guitar is out of phase. I only sort of know what this means, and am wondering how I fix it. I would like for all 5 switch positions to sound as similar in volume as possible. Anyone know how I fix this?

Thanks!!!

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

In really simple terms when the pickups are out of phase they are fighting each other. One is pushing a signal in one direction and the other pickup is pushing the signal in the other direction. A lot of the signal from each pickup is the same and some is different. Because they are pushing in opposite directions the part that is the same but in a different direction cancels out and all you are left with is the part that is different. If that is the problem you need to flip the wires on one of the pickups - the wires to the middle pickup.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@soupman24)
Topic starter  

So I simply put the current ground wire to the switch and the current hot wire to the ground? that seems so easy. I like it.
I'll give that a try tonight.

thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Yeah, that should do it if it's a phase issue. Because it's a problem with the middle when combined with either the neck or the bridge pickup it's the middle one you want to flip the wiring on. Let us know how it goes.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@soupman24)
Topic starter  

Worked like a charm.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote