Notifications
Clear all

Pickin' strings (acoustic)

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyroc)
Topic starter  

I recently bought a Martin guitar from a friend. To change the strings, what kind should I get? are Martin strings any good? just b/c I already have this kind of guitar, I'm wondering if another string type would dilute the guitar?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Strings in the end are totally a matter of personal preference. Martin strings are pretty good strings so you won't go wrong with them especially if you already like them.

I like Elixirs on my Taylor acoustic which as it turns out that is what it came with. I tried a few others and came back to the Elixirs.

Welcome to GN. Now hold on tight since you will get a lot more opinions on strings. Oh yeah do a search of the forum for strings since this has been discussed many times.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Martin strings are fine. They work well with other brands of guitar, just as well with Martin's. The thing that matters is the gauge - you should try to stay with the gauge of strings that are on the guitar, at least until you have a little confidence in your playing to decide whether you need lighter or heavier strings.
Take the guitar to your local guitar shop and ask for their advice about what your guitar needs.

By the way, welcome to the world of Guitarnoise. Please don't ever feel ashamed to ask a question - there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers (I know, most of them are mine ;)) )

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

You'll also want to consider the material the strings are made out of. For example, bronze phospher or the other kind (steel? Im not sure.) Anyway, I think a lot of acoustic players, including myself, prefer bronze phospher. The sound is a little more rich and bright, in my opinion.

I have elixers on right now, and like them a lot, though they are a little stiff. But, that can be worked around. However, I got some that weren't bronze by accident. So when I switch them out again, I'll be getting seom bronze elixer's.

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I use Blue Steels on both my acoustic (.11's) and electric (.09's) and for now I won't change. I may try .10's on the electric eventually but still Blue Steel's. They feel great under my fingers too. I may someday try Elixirs but for now I am comfortable with these.

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

I have Martin 80/20 Bronze 'light' .012-.054 strings on an inexpensive Ariel acoustic that I repaired and they sound BEAUTIFUL! They sound so good that I have no reason whatsoever to even want to try anything else on that guitar. I am very pleased with those. This guitar is set up for playing slide in open tunings, with a little bit higher action than normal.

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote