Clear all

Pickup height

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering what is a good distance from the pickups to the strings? and what effect does this have on guitar sound, I'm asking this in a kinda general way, but also specificly about an Epi SG.

What are the quality of Epi pickups compared to Gibson 57 and 57+'s ?

Thanks for any input!

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

(@jbeery)

The way I do it: Raise the top of the poles about 0.25 of an inch away from the bottom of the strings (unpluged). Then plug in and start looking for the sweet spot. I start with the neck pup but thats just me.
Have a great weekend-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ive been told that two quarters (25 cent coins) is a good height to start with.
too far away and your sound will suffer.
too close and the magnets will affect string vibration.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok!, quarters I understand...heh, my neck pu is almost 4 quarters away and my bridge is about 2, this is on an Epi SG, does that sound ok?

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

How is your action on the neck? If the strings are not too far off the neck, then you should probably raise that neck pick-up. It will help the sound of that PUP.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking the distance on the neck PUP was a little far, I was thinking about putting a classic 57 in the neck and a 57+ in the bridge but I want to see what the Epi PUPs sound like at diff adjustments before I do that, cause If I get them sounding decent I can spend the money on some texas specials for my strat copy:)

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Scott:

Just my opinion, but the Gibson 57s are much better pickups than the Epi stock pickups. But, they aren't cheap. It will cost you around $200 for the set, plus the cost of a tech to install them (maybe another $40 - 50). But, it will improve the sound dramatically.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

and there is the rub, do I put $200 worth of PUPs in a $150 guitar?

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

If you look at the guitar you have as a slab of wood. You got some stuff that came with the wood. What would you like to replace to get a good sound? Okay, say you spent $150 on the slab of wood. You got a neck (that is a bolt on?, so it is replaceable), two humbuckers, some electronics, and a set of 3x3 tuners. You can replace a lot or all of that stuff. It depends on what you know about guitars what should be replaced. What amp are you using the guitar thru? and what style of music? What do you want to sound like?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm using an Epi Valve Special, the sound I'm looking for is classic rock/ac/dc type stuff, nothing heavier than that, I love blues also but I have a strat copy for that.

The tuners stay in tune very well as long as I give the strings a good stretch when I install them so I see no reason to change them atm, stitchs and knobs all work well no trouble there.

The only effects I use is a Overdrive pedal.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

So, you need something a little hotter and cleaner in a pickup. See if there is anything here http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html that suits your needs and they are much cheaper.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think I saw a Gibson spec for 3/16" for the neck pickup, 1/8" for the bridge. That's what I've long used for P-90s and humbuckers, anyway, and I like it that way.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote