Notifications
Clear all

Pickup positions & buzzing

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shadowscollide)
Topic starter  

Ok so I removed the factory pickups and I installed Texas hot pickups in my fender strat. Followed the diagram and soldered properly. But any amp I plug it into I get a buzz in all positions, besides the middle/neck position. Solder joints are fine. Maybe I should oil them or are the pickups at the wrong height? I have no clue why I'm getting this hot buzz in all these positions but one. Can someone please walk me through the troubleshooting procedure for this case.thanks

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It sounds like an earthing problem. Check that everything is earthed - don't forget the bridge earthing.

Why would you want to oil a joint?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Second the ground.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Texas Special and other vintage style pickups can cause some solderers a little difficulty, due to the push-back cloth wiring. Tex-Mex don't do that. Just a thought, at times if the soldering job is a little harder, solder can drip down into the 5 way switch and hide, causing problems. :shock: And either way, sometimes that yellow lead wire in the middle of either set will throw off an otherwise astute craftsman, used to different color configurations, normally just black and white wires.

But it is usually an earthing or grounding problem, as they say already. As for troubleshooting, well, too many diagrams and "correct" wiring illustrations fail to recognize the need for pot-to-pot grounds. So, if you stick all your grounds in one place, and don't join them in tandem to other pots, or eventually to the jack and then to bridge/trem claw, like the guys said, you get that hum. Not just any hum though. It's the type of hum that goes away when you touch the bridge or strings with your hand?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote