Notifications
Clear all

pot or pickup replacement?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@millard)
Topic starter  

I have a "vintage" Peavey T-60 whose pickups are supposed to be able to be switched between humbucker and single coil operation by turning the tone knobs. When you are between 7 and 10, you activate the single coil mode with a small amount of tone play, when you are between 1 and 7, you get some tonal adjustment for the humbuckers.

Kind of a neat deal, if it works. However, it doesn't right now. There is a barely noticeable difference between the tone knob at 1 and at 10. It seems like it might be tapping into single coil mode because the noise level picks up a bit when you get close to 10. But the effect is nothing like it should be and I'm being generous in my interpretation.

Since pickups are just magnets, I'm guessing that the pots under the tone knobs are shot. Would you agree? Any idea where I might find replacement pots that will do this trick?

Thanks...Millard

(@alangreen)

My local guitar shop has a selection of "Frequently Busted Bits" behind the counter - machine head sets, string pegs, inexpensive single coil and humbucker pickups, and so on, and they reckon they can get me more or less any parts for any guitar. They can usually quote a price too.

Try your local shop - they might be able to do the same. Even if they can't, they might be able to put you in touch with the local distributor.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Millard, check the support forums on the Peavey website. The techs there can give you the type of pot you need, and possibly can hook you up with a wiring diagram.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Variable resistors used as potentiometers have all three terminals connected. This arrangement is normally used to vary voltage, for example to set the switching point of a circuit. As an example: If the terminals at the ends of the track are connected in such a way they can be used to tap the coils.

Have you looked to see whats there. I think you'll see that there is three terminals on a standard potentiometer and the way its wired will tap the pickup. Meaning the double coil connected to one side and single coil connected to the other side and center wire running from one outer terminal of the volume.

Without going into detail on North start, north finish, south start, south finish, and what capacitors.
Perhaps you post a link to a image of it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@millard)
Topic starter  

A seemingly knowledgable and helpful guy on the Peavey forums had this to say:

"My guess is that the .022 tone capacitor has opened up and is not working any more.The changes you are hearing are probably the variable switching from single coil mode to humbucker mode. This would indicate that the pot and pickup are working OK."

I'll admit all that really means to me is that it might be time to go to the repair shop with my checkbook.

There are wiring diagrams for the beast here:

With a suppsed correction here:

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer. I like to work on my guitars myself, but we may be moving past my level of comfort.

BTW, the Peavey folks (the real ones, not just the forumites) have been so helpful that I'm like to start my next shopping trip with their products in mind.

Thanks...Millard

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your links aren't working for me to take a look at the images. This person could very well be right about the cap. At one time our another being a guitar player learning to solder is kind of important. Example if your out in the sticks going your thing and every guitar cord you tired wasn't working, you could fix one between sets.

Now would be a good time to learn. If you don't already have a small soldering gun and mis. tools, they can be picked up for next to nothing and last a life time. A small iron and solder will run say 5.00 usa, best bet would be to get something like this below. It will have the Mis. tools. That cap will run .07 to .25 cents usa. A small multi meter always comes in handy too. Their inexpensive and worth their weight in gold for testing.

ELECTRONIC SOLDERING TOOL KIT

Do a little homework on the net about soldering techniques and Safety. Get your confidence up, take the cover off remove the old cap and solder the new one in. I'm not sure what they would charge in a shop. It's about a 5 minute job. I've worked on friends guitars minutes before a show for nothing other than cause I can and to set in a song or two.

I look at it as why pay someone to do something I as a guitar player should learn to do. Knowledge. Yes, the more knowledgeable you are about your equipment the better prepared you are to handle it when something goes wrong and and it will. Then smile and be able to repair it. By reading what you have posted looks like your on the right course to learning.

Joe

ReplyQuote