Clear all

PRS SE pickup replacement query

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@riff1962)
Topic starter  

Hi folks, Chris here

Just a quickie. I have a PRS SE singlecut, and have ordered some Wilkinson replacement humbuckers for it.

However, on taking the old pickups out, I see they only have one thick cable coming from the humbucker. This has an outer wire, with a smaller second one inside the inner core = 2 wires. The new Wilkinson pickups have 4 wires: Black = earth/ground, Yellow=live and Red and White (joined together). I just need to know which wire goes where to make it all work!

Thank you.

(@surfer1182)

So what you have here are extra wires that can be used in the future for coil splits(taps) or parallel wiring of the vs series wiring of the humbuckers. The black is the ground end of the slugs and is most likely shielding the other wires in the run from the pick up to the volume knob. The white and red run in between the slug and screw coils hence the reason they are connected together. The yellow is the output of the screw coil and the current total output (hot wire) of the pickup in its current setup. There are lots of options with wiring on a humbucker and that's what those extra wires are there for.

ReplyQuote