Skip to content
Pups - distance fro...

Notifications
Clear all

Pups - distance from strings affecting sound?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

My pickups are not an even distance away from all the strings. Near the bottom E string there is quite a distance between string and pup while near the top e string the pups are a lot closer to the string. The difference between these distances is quite noticeable.

The problem seems to be that my E and A strings sound very bassy and dull. Could the fact that the pups are a long way from the strings be causing this? When strumming all the strings together it's not too noticeable but when these strings are played on isolation it really becomes obvious.

TIA.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yes. p.u. distance does matter. too close and the magnetic quality of the p.u. will keep the string from vibrating properly. too far away and the the sound is not there.
what is the opitmum distance. it varies.
the trick is determining what is best.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought this may be the case.

I'm guessing it's a matter of trial and error when it comes to adjusting the distance.

I'll leave it till the weekend when I have a little more time to fiddle around. My axe has been like this for a while so a couple more days won't hurt.

Once again thanks for the reply.

8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm guessing it's a matter of trial and error when it comes to adjusting the distance.
That's how I do it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@piratefromhell)

Changing pickup height is really simpler than it sounds. The important thing is to not go over the top. If you like the way your high strings sound you might just want to try to move the left side of the pickup until it's level, although that might end up changing the height at the right side too. As you said, trial and error. Get a small ruler to check they're decently leveled, and remember it doesn't have to be perfect, and there's no right or wrong. When you like the sound, you struck gold.

Also try not to use a screwdriver with a magnetic tip, it won't screw up your pickups unless it's a VERY strong magnet, but they are quite annoying as they'll stick onto everything but the pickup screw. Also just to be safe...pickups are like a guitar's testicles...the most important and fragile part.

Hope you get the best out of your axe.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Didn't get round to it this weekend. Will definately give it a go this coming weekend.

Thanks all for the help.

8)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ditto on the "don't worry about getting them level". Pretty much all of mine are higher on the treble side to get a more even volume across all the strings...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote