Clear all

Putting extra springs on the bridge

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm planning on adding 1 or 2 extra springs to my tremelo system (it only has 3 right now)... will I need a setup or take extra precautions with anything?

Steve-0

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You'll have to reset the action, not so much the neck warp, but mostly the saddles and the angle of the plate they sit on.

Well, I'm thinking of the standar Fender Strat sort of trem system. It might be different for others.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is a floating trem? If so, and you are keeping the same string types/gauges, then a new setup may not be necessary, provided you can adjust (loosen) the spring claw screw enough to restore the original floating spring tension. This will set the angle of the bridge plate to the same as the original angle, therefore, no setup change.

For a non-floating trem, just set the tension where you like it provided that the bridge plate is pulled flush to the body (vintage Strat style).

Note that not all string gauge and number of springs combos may be possible on a floating trem. Plus, the up-bends may be limited with more springs, as springs will not be stretched out very much in float position.

Hope this makes sense.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes. It will also put an extra strain on the guitar when you use it. It will become harder to push down and even harder to pull up .

joe

ReplyQuote