Clear all

Real bad Hummmm

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scholar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i really dont know how to explain this but i have a Artcore AF75 and if i turn up the vol knob i get a bad humm if i turn it down the humm is still there just lower. It sounds like a ground noise,so i tried to just to see if its the ground,buy putting a grounding strap on the jack(no luck) i have a week to return it. what should i do?

I'm so new to this!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Have you played the guitar through another amp to rule out the amp and/or the guitar.

If the amp is OK then it sounds like a ground wire may be loose somewhere in the guitar. Since you have the option to take it back then take it back so they can either fix the problem or replace it. If you got the amp from them also take it with you just in case it is the amp.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Quick thought. Are you near a computer or TV?

Those two components, with others, can cause humming.

I believe the term is called, “electrostatic interference”.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Does it get better when you touch the strings? If so, there's a good chance the strings are not properly grounded. In the case of the AF75, that grounding should be through a connection to the tailpiece, as the bridge is a floater.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

....Also even a light dimmer switch on the circuit will cause hum if not all the way on or off.

You could try another room/another circuit to make sure it is not that circuit in the house before you take a trip. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@scholar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

sorry it took so long to reply. But im about 6 feet from the TV and Puter. it dosent stop when i touch the strings,and yup tried it on 3 diff amps and my DI channel on my Tascam FW-1884-sigh- i guess i could take it back and have them check her out.

I'm so new to this!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

sorry it took so long to reply. But im about 6 feet from the TV and Puter. it dosent stop when i touch the strings,and yup tried it on 3 diff amps and my DI channel on my Tascam FW-1884-sigh- i guess i could take it back and have them check her out.

And you've swapped cables too?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What type of cable are you using to to plug in with? Some inexpensive cables leave a lot to be desired, I've found that paying the extra for a good shielded cable is the better investment. If its coming from the guitar it could be anyone of the electrical parts pickup, wiring, potentiometers, capacitors, wrong wire soldered were it shouldn't be, etc.

I'll agree with taking it back as long as its under warranty.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

6 feet from a computer or TV isn't far. With my P-90 equipped guitar, if I stand 20 feet away from the computer it'll still hum unless I turn at right angles to it (or use the hum cancelling middle switch position.) I think that Ibanez has humbuckers, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Don't they make some kind of line filter for the amps?

Many of these noises come from the AC lines themselves. Home rooms are electrically split up to balance the house, usually 2 breakers to a room.

Sometimes the cause is something running in another room, like an old ceiling fan or other appliance.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Every amp already has a line filter.

The power supply has a rectifier followed by several stages of resistance-capacitance (and in some cases, inductance-capacitance) filtration to drop the line frequency ripple to a tolerable level. Basically those are low-pass filters that won't pass the line frequency. Higher frequency noises on the line are attenuated even more than the ripple.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Ricochet, maybe the more expensive amps have better filters. I can't use my light dimmer in the livingroom or I hear the noise through my amps, both of them.

If the cheap amps have filters, they are not designed very well.

I do understand rectifiers and caps resisting a change in voltage, inductors resisting a change in current but nothing like guitar amps. I work in a powerhouse....land of the giants there.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They all have filters. It's the electrolytic caps that let the ripple through to ground, shorting it out. You're not likely to find better power filtering in expensive amps. I think your hum's being picked up through the input side of the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Thanks Ricochet. :)

ReplyQuote