Clear all

Really weird static/crackle/interference

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bass-cadet)
Topic starter  

Hi all, Newbie here :D

I've trawled through the forums but havn't been able to find an answer to my problem so thought I'd create a thread....

I bought a new amp 2 weeks ago, Marshall AVT275, 2nd hand, excellent condition. My Les Paul sounds top notch through it. I had no problems until last night, I switched channel to Overdrive 2 and as soon as I took my hands off the guitar, a really annoying crackle/static sound started. It seems to go away completly when I touch any metal part of the guitar. Its not unbareable but I think we all know how a little niggle like this can wreck our heads!

So I tried my other guitar, and the same thing. Buzzing when the guitar is idle, static/crackle sound disappears when contact made with any metal on guitar body (including strings). So I reckon its got to be the amp. The AVT275 has a tube Preamp, I checked this and everything ok, THEN I hook up both guitars to my old Peavey Bandit and...yep, same problem; static sound when idle, gone when contact made. I've tried changing power source and a different mains in the house, but the same result.

At one stage I changed cord and it seemed to work for a while, but it graually came back. I'm absolutely stumped here!! The only thing I can presume is some kind of electrical grid interference? even atmospheric interference? I don't know. Has anyone out there ever experienced a problem like this? Any solution or did you slowly go insane like I am?! :twisted: :? :)

Boa
(@boa)

There is a bad ground some where. Try moving to a different outlet first. I have the same problem with one outlet in my house, moved and it cured the problem. If not in the house could be a bad solder joint in the amp. After it heats up it loses conductivity.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Start with the chord, make sure you have shielded ends. (Plastic that fits over the soldered connections.) Then make sure that the plug the chord fits in is tight.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@bass-cadet)
Topic starter  

I've tried switching mains or moving to another room in the house with no joy. All my leads and inputs are sound. At least it would be something if I knew it was either the guitar or the amp

The fact that I'm getting the same thing from 2 different guitars and 2 different amps must mean its got nothing to do with my equipment? it has me stumped anyway

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try going to a different floor. Domestic electricity is usually run on ring mains circuits - the ends of which land in your fuse box. The earthing should also follow this route. If an earthing connection on your domestic circuit is bad, it may just be in one of the ring circuits.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote