Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Recomened pickups?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I wanna replace my bridge pickup cos it sounds like a misquito attack wen distorted. I play metal and rock but I also really like to play clean stuff so would want something that has fantastic distorted sound and be really fully toned when clean.

What pickup would you guys recomend for me?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A little more information is needed, like what type of pickup do you have now, what type of guitar, how much do you want to spend. A great sounding humbucker will run right around a 100.00 or little less.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have a Jackson PS6T, not sure the specific name of the humbuckers but they are Jackson's own. The two are the same, but I like the sound of the neck pickup but the bridge one is too harsh and basically crap sounding.
My budget is £70.

Ive heard EMGs are great for metal, which solves the distortion problem, but apparently they lack tone for any other stlyes. Do you think if I got an EMG and combined it will the warm sounding current neck pickup I could get a decent sound clean?

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I don't know a whole lot about pickups versus what kind of guitar they sound best in, but I do know that Duncans are generally pretty good. I believe I saw an add for a new metal-oriented design too.

I have M22SD s in my new Carvin and I love them.  Check those out here : http://www.carvin.com/products/parts.php?CID=PU

hope this helped a little

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Any of the after market pickups will do the trick, it's a matter of how you want to sound and the tone you would like to create with it.  I have the EMG's that use a active pre-amp on a guitar they sound great.

The pickups suggested are a real good pickups also and great price.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Any of the after market pickups will do the trick

Sorry What u mean by 'after market'? ???

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The bridge pup does usually sound edgier, as its placement emphasises higher harmonics over lower. But just as important as the pup: when you "distort," what are you using in the signal chain (EFX, booster, amp)?

As noted above, Duncans do it for many. Go to the SD's website and listen:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products.shtml

AFA $$$, Stewmac sells "Golden Age" pups and EMG HiZ (passive) and others-- one of these might fit your budget better.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Ok, would I be right in saying I cant really go far wrong if i bought an EMG 81 for the bridge - especially as if I ever wanted a warmer tone I can simpley combine it will my current Jackson neck pickup?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

After market would be pickups that don't come original from the guitars manufacturer, like Seymour Duncan, EMG, etc.. It would doing a little research as what you want to sound like.  Yes, EMG makes great pickups.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slashrules)

DUNCANS AND DIMARZIO slam that shit

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

what?

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@slashrules)

i guess u cant say sh*it because look : SHIT

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I use dimarzio PAF pros in the bridge and neck position, the middle positionin my jackson, I use a third humbucker, and in my "signature guitar" (so customized that I removed the peavy name, and signed it instead) I use a seymour duncan seymourized mini-bucker, at an angle.

ReplyQuote