Clear all

refill the cracked guitar body?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

few years ago, when i was at the stage...i slipped my guitar and the guitar knocked the floor..and i found that my guitar then had a cracked site....now, i wanted to fix it and i am thinking to refill that cracked site.....can i do this?how?my guitar body is a solid body....the model is just like ibanez rg series..
and actuallly, does the cracked site affected the tone of the guitar?thx u

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the crack should probably not affect the tone. the value is wounded.
you can fill the crack and try to match the finish.

it is funny tho.
with cars when bashed they are patched and painted .
but when it is an electric guitar a dent, scratch, chip is considered an honor badge of use.
it is history and character. funny.
I don't repair finish damage on my guitars. it hurts me to see the first bit of damage,
but I know from experience it will happen again and again.

so if you want the perfect brand new look in you guitar go and refinish it.

but I will get dinged again. then what?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

DB, I've been offering for some time to take new cars and "age" them to look like those that have been well used by experienced drivers. For a price. Haven't been taken up on my offer yet. But you betcha I can "Relic" 'em!
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Where is the crack on the guitar??

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thx u guys,i really would like to make this thing like new bcause it was a gift from my parents so...i really would like them look good....

akflyingv: near the jack socket...why?

ReplyQuote
(@csxyardmaster)

All I can afford to drive are "vintage cars". My 87 buick looks well reliced.
but I lover her

Mr. Darling to Andy, "I didn't know you twanged"

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

My namesake, the original Racetruck, is a 72 Chevy, over 500,000 miles on it,(Researched through title searches) has massive relic karma in it. Love the truck but I wouldn't take it to my parents.

Before filling the body of the guitar, I would see if I could close the crack up. Possibly with the help of a clamp or two. If you can close the crack up with the clamps, then try a light squirt of superglue in it.

Try closing with the clamps first, dry, without glue and see how it closes up, then do it with the glue.

If you are not comfortable with superglue (cyanoacrilate), then use a good grade of wood glue or carpenters glue. Frank Ford gives a good guide on adhesives on his site, frets.com.

I don't like to use wood fillers because they never look good to me, I can always tell where they were used.

Actually, thinking about it, go to Franks site and read about his neck repairs, especially about broken neck repairs, very useful info how to fix broken wood!

If it's a clean break, you may not need any filler!

I can't say if the crack affects your tone, a small one probabily won't, but a major one where a good portion of the body is separated from the main portion might be noticeable.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote