Clear all

Replacing all screws on the elect. guitar

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I am overhauling an 80's Yamaha axe that I have had in storage for awhile. I want to replace all the screws. I was going for stainless steel replacements, but nothing at my local Lowe's is the right size. I see they have screw kits on the various websites. Are all the screws basically the same size from one guitar brand to another, or do they vary greatly?

Also, I want to replace the neck screws, as the Phillips heads are chewed up a bit. Are these difficult to locate?

Thanks!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

There won't be any in stainless. Maybe Jay Monterose, Danny Gatton's extra guitar player has developed some by now. http://www.vintique.com/www.vintique.com/harware.html

Other than Jay and his evolving designs and high-end inventions, I only know of decades of chrome plated, then some black, and gold too.

Whoo, here's a correction already. Get your stainless set right here! http://www.beyondeleven.com/Pickguard-Screws-s/86.htm

And back to edit, here's a site with the whole 90 yards!!! :lol: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore/screws.html

They are basically the same size for the pickguard, but may vary quite a bit for pickups and switches, especially important when it comes to securing a 3-way or 5-way blade switch, threading right into it. Fender packaged screws, and also "Profile" should fit that axe okay.

Same for the big neck screws. Most are stardard-ish, and Fender or Profile will likely do. And Jay's would be best IMO. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. Jay. I stopped by another home center in my area & was able to get screws that were pretty darn close. But I will bookmark those sites for future reference. The neck screws on this thing are smaller than the normal size, or at least what I am used to seeing.
1 1/2" in length, around 1/8" dia.

Yamaha RGZ 321P - I will post pics when I get it completed & strung up in a week or so. Not a high end guitar by any means, but it is fun to play, stays in tune & has a great sound! Hum/single coil/Hum pickup config. Metallic Blue retro 80's finish, I think it looks very cool! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I might guess that the Yamaha uses metric screws rather than the old Imperial size ones. Those will be harder to find in your local home hardware store. This will also be different from the standard Fender / Gibson screws. You may have to get Imperial sized screws that are a little too large so that the screws can grip. If you go too small they will not hold well.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote