Clear all

Replacing frets?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My little e string buzzes when playing on the 2nd or 3rd fret. I found out this is because I recently lowered the action on my guitar and the 2nd and 3rd fret have relatively deep indents, because I play the D and G chords so much and I press quite hard.

Anyway, since I really don't want to adjust the action back up I'm thinking about having these frets replaced. Is this something I can do myself without too much trouble, or should I let an expert do this? In the latter case, how much would this cost?

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wow... unless you have some experience with this kind of work I'd leave it to the pros. Simply getting the frets OUT can be difficult and could create havoc on the fretboard. I have no idea how much it would cost, but if you are re-fretting a few frets, it might make sense to re-fret the entire board and get the lot dressed.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

If you take it to a Luthier he might just suggest you get a "Fret Dressing" whereby he'd recrown and polish your frets.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can see I certainly will not want to do it myself! I'll check out a guitar repair shop.

ReplyQuote