Replacing pickups

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey there all,

I have a Stagg strat a like, and what with christmass (and then my 20th oh god im getting old....) coming up, i was thinking about getting santa to supply me with upgrade parts.

I had a look on http://www.axesrus.co.uk , (being in england is a major restricter when it ocmes to gizmos), and found they had ready wired mex strat pickguards. As my mates will tell you, i have the technical ability of a stunned hamster, so this looks like a dream come true for me. My only comcern is, my Stagg is HSS, and these pickguards with ready wired pickups are SSS. they do have HSS ones, but the colours are wrong and they cost a bit more.... is dropping SSS into a routed HSS goign to work? orwill i have to play about with the insides of my guitar? Just wondered if anyone has done this before.

Also, i think some new machineheads would be nice, can get fender set for £30. Pickguard is £68... not a ad combo if it works. is there anything else i should change? bridge? or will that not make a massive difference?

Many thanks for any help

Rob

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If your guitar is already routed inside for the H in the HSS, then an S will have no problem fitting in. The routed hole will be larger but really of no consequence.

If the bridge works and stays in tune pretty much, just leave it, unless you want something with a wider vibrato effect. This is assuming it has a vibrato/whammy bar type bridge. :)

ReplyQuote
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the only concern i had was that the new S is at a diagonal in the strat way, not sure if that wil fi inthe H hole but maybe.... bridge is ok i guess, fitted for whammy but not supplied- must buy the arm somewen soon!

This is my backup guitar now anyway, so if i screw up a bit its not the end of the world.... i scalloped out 12-21 a while ago, that was fun!

And that smy main point, i want to have fun doing this, and mae a funky unique guitar

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

woo England ! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

(and then my 20th oh god im getting old....) HA! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

The slanted Sc will not fit into a standard Hb slot at the bridge position... You may be able to enlarge the hole, but I wouldn't recoment it. You would also have to create new moint points, and if im not mistaken Sc and Hb are sort of keyed at one end, and that would need to be adjusted for. You would probably be better off getting it done profesionally, or getting the correct pickup arrangment. I also read, I believe somewhere on this site, that someone actually had a guitar with 3 Hb and fitted them with 3 Sc and the tone wasn't quite what he/she had expected due to the body being hollowed for all the Hb.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you want a completely different pickup arrangement like switching between humbuckers and single coils of different shapes, IMO you'd be better off getting a different guitar.

There are P-90-like single coils being made to fit humbucker cavities now, and various sorts of humbuckers made to fit single coil cavities.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote