Notifications
Clear all

Replacing Pre/Power Amp Tubes

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bigbad)
Topic starter  

My amps - Marshall JCM 2000 TSL100 - clean channel works fine but my other channels swell and pretty much just cut out. It started when I was playing a show it just stopped making noise completely. I was told it was probably the tubes and am looking to repair it today. Just wondering if thats what it is or if it could be something else, also; if I need to replace all tubes or just some, and what I should replace them with.
Thanks for any help!
BB

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You can try replacing your tubes, all of them with OEM's because it is an all-tube, 3-channel amp, and I have no schematic, don't know which tube is which. I have some amp experience, and I see no answers to your question since yesterday, so I did some research, and I came on at the very least to welcome you, and certainly not to talk stupid, or show how ignorant I am of these amps - I've dealt with mostly Fender, Traynor, Peavey, Randall... with minor issues, or many amps consisting of nearly every solid state amp manufactured & other Marshalls that didn't break in over 40 years.

So, you have yourself a very unpopular and controversial amp it seems. There could be many problems in the circuits, solders and in an irregular array of components, not solved by new tubes. Bad reviews are credible, and easy to find. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Marshall/JCM-2000+TSL+100/10/1

Make sure that your recording/mute switch is not on, and if the tubes, same as original don't fix, take to an amp tech.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can find schematics here

But it doesn't sound like a tube issue to me. I did a little searching, and I found the problem is pretty common - your voltage rectifier is overheating. As it does, your solder connections get iffy - which can lead to both cutting out and swelling.

Here's a page about some possible mods to fix it.

The bad news is the tubes might need replacing anyway from the runaway heat (as described early on in the mods page).

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote