Clear all

right guage strings?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alpha)
Topic starter  

hi all!

recently bought some nylon strings for my classical guitar but the action sounds to deep and loud...could it be i bought the wrong guage strings?

and need thinner ones?

thanks for your help :-)

Alpha

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Just as long as the guitar is not too hard to play. Most guitarists want more loudness so you might be okay with what you got.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You've confused your terms a little. Action is the height of the strings above the frets. You may have tuned your guitar too low if the sound is too deep, which is a common problem with newer guitarists (I assume that's you). Hard tension strings are generally louder, but they are not deeper in pitch. They also feel a little stiffer, but not so much that they are hard to play.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

A little more information maybe needed. How do you mean by deep? Are the strings tuned to the correct pitch?

Are they tuned to high.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, it's possible that you could've put the wrong gauge strings on if you didn't know the original gauge on your guitar. I think you either don't have them tuned to pitch OR you aren't used to the generally deeper sound of newly changed strings.

Even if you didn't put the right gauge strings on, a basic setup will fix that problem: not a big deal.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alpha)
Topic starter  

hi all, thanks for your input,

ive beeb playing the new strings for a few hours and it sounds better, yeah i tuned it using a digital tuner and it sounded too deep, and high E didnt sound right, but after a few hours it seems to sound a bit more relaxed...

thanks again,

Alpha

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

As time goes on and the more you change strings you'll find some strings sound and play different from others. Eventually you'll find a set that sounds and plays the way you like them.

Joe

ReplyQuote