Clear all

Scale length affect on tone?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know what affect if any scale length has on tone? Has anyone tried putting a shorter neck on a strat/ tele type?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Thats a really good question. I would also like to know. I think that scale length doesnt really matter that much tonaly. But, if the length btwn frets is changed, I believe tone will change too. But, thats just what I think.

I guess since a shorter neck could mean less frets changing to a shorter neck would probably mean a noticeable lessening of tonal extent. But, hell, I dunno...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's the same general effect as changing string gauges.

The math is kind of complicated, because getting a specific pitch out of a string has three variables: tension, string length, and string mass. Replacing a Strat neck with a Les Paul neck will reduce length by about 3%, so it's approximately the same effect as going with strings that are 3% less in mass.

Changing from .10 strings to .09 reduces mass by about 11% (assuming both gauges are the same composition). So changing string length gives you a similar effect, but not quite as pronounced.

The two variables, mass and length, are related because the tone is produced by the vibrating mass of the string. Having less length means less mass is vibrating, just as if you'd reduced gauge; the other factor, tension, is adjusted to reach the fundamental pitch you need for the open string... so it plays the same role whether you've changed gauge or length.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Other things:

Shorter scale means the strings' end effects can become more pronounced. This will cause a shift in the harmonic content in the respective amplitudes, phases and frequency errors at each harmonic (harmonics do not have to vibrate at exactly integer values of the fundamental) -- all this affects timbre.

Also, by shortening the scale on an existing design, the relative pup positions would be relocated, definitely causing changes in both acoustic and electrical timbre. Why acoustic? Because the pup magnetic fields pull on the strings whether or not one is "plugged in."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, might have to start from scratch then. I'll explain in another thread :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Do you mean like this one?
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=strat_alternate2475

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Like that, but I notice the professional builders prefer to use a tilt back head. I'd like to know if there's a real reason.

I'd like something that truly works and not just a haphazard mishmash. Even if I have to sell a few things to get it. I've owned a tele, an LP and an older Godin LGT (similiar to today's Godin SD) and played strats in the shops. I think I'm getting closer to what I want for the ergonomics of a workhorse guitar, but I still need help with materials and the more sublte parts of the design.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Tilt back heads eliminate the need for string trees. That's about their only non-aesthetic function.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so the tilt v. string trees doesn't matter, but just slapping a new neck on a strat body isn't likely to doo the trick. I guess what I want is a mahogany fat strat or a jackson HSS soloist with that warmoth neck and then select some pick-ups I like. Hmmm, might work.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote