Setw-Mac pickup kits

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently noticed that stewart-macdonald recently introduced pickup kits for telecaster. I've been meaning to replace the pickups in my Tele for a while now, and this seems to be an interesting posssibility. However, after reading the instructions, I want to make sure that it's practical for a (for lack of a better term)regular person to make pickups. Also, can these kits produce quality pickups? Does anyone have any experience with Stew-Mac pickup kits?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are 2 concerns that I have about such a kit. The first is that the magnets need to be magnetised - that brings in the distinct possibility of unevenly magnetised pole-pieces. The second is that a pickup requires over 7000 turns of coil wire to get anywhere near the values you're looking for - you're not going to like doing that by hand.
There is also the point that a good pickup is wax potted - they don't mention that, although it's not too hard to do.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, as far as the 7000 turns of wire, i'm figuring that I could rig up some sort of setup with a drill or something. Magnetising has been my main worry. Is there a way to measure the magnetic charge of the polepieces? Also, as far as wax potting goes, I know that people on this website have done it before, so it can't be too hard. How exactly do you pot pickups?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

How to wax pot pickups

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, potting seems do-able. Can anything else think of any problems I might have?
I'd also like to know about the quality of these pickups...

ReplyQuote