Notifications
Clear all

sperzel's or planet waves?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@darkflame23)
Topic starter  

which tuners should i get to replace the stock ones on my yamaha pacifica 311ms tele?

i understand that the sperzels are highly regarded, and are "staggered", doing away with the need for string guides. they are also at a good price.

recenly i also came across the planet waves, which are a bit more pricey, but have the advantage of automatically cutting the string for you. i also think they look more "sexy" than the sperzels (if this should be a consideration!) i am not sure if these are "staggered" though, meaning i would still need to use string guides.

is there anyone with any opinions on this, or who has used one or the other?

looking forward to hearing your replies,

best wishes,

gregg (my first post!)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The only Sperzels I have are on a Carvin I think; the locking ones at any rate. But they're not staggered. That's kind of a cool idea actually. I haven't tried or seen the PlanetWave ones either, but then again I'm old school; my favorite tuners are the slot head ones where you put the end of the string in the hold and bend it down through the slot. I don't like the regular hole-through tuners either because I ALWAYS wind up sticking my finger with the trimmed E or B strings. Having the end going down into the center of the post is...safer for clumsy me.

Anyhow, I don't know if the auto-trim feature is all that important. Some might say it is, but why not just get a pair of wire-cutters? Maybe that's too old fashioned.

Sperzels though; nice tuners. Again, I would've preferred the slot-head tuners, but that's what came on the guitar and I've just lived with it.

Not much help I'm sure, but PlanetWaves, unless they've gotten better, always sorta made me think "The House of Blues of the accessory market." I don't know why. At first they had what...polish, guitar cables, polish cloths. Is that the same company? If I were forced to chose I'd chose Sperzel.

My two cents anyhow. Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not much help I'm sure, but PlanetWaves, unless they've gotten better, always sorta made me think "The House of Blues of the accessory market." I don't know why. At first they had what...polish, guitar cables, polish cloths. Is that the same company? If I were forced to chose I'd chose Sperzel.

Right Demo, I have similar thoughts about PlanetWaves , though some of the products seem okay and even good. However, PlanetWaves doesn't actually make anything as far as I call tell -- it's just in the re-branding biz.

But about those tuners...PlanetWaves had to pull the original version off the market for some functional flaw -- the actual manufacturer (Schaller?) had to do some redesign to get them to operate properly. They might be good, but consider the risk and the company behind each. Sperzel puts its name on its own product, and is strongly identified with tuners and similar hardware. If Sperzel screws up, it gets hurt bigtime. PlanetWaves, OTOH, can screw up a product and just drop it from its ever-diverse and growing product portfolio. A second vote for Sperzel here.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That's why I couldn't find any info on the tuners! Wow. I went to look at them and nothing came up in the search. I just found what I used to find, cleaning stuff, humidifiers, that kind of stuff.

Yah, Sperzel.

What sort of tuners is on the thing now darkflame, slot-ended?

ReplyQuote
(@darkflame23)
Topic starter  

thanks for all your replies, i reckon i'll go with the sperzel's then!

at the moment the guitar has "through hole" tuners (i am not sure if that is the right term as i have only been playing guitar a month).

i am slowly building up a collection of new hardware for the guitar (graph-tec nut and saddle, SD pickups, CTS pots, switchcraft jack, high quality switch, sperzel tuners, new knobs and pick guard etc), and then i will pay someone to fit it all and professionally set it up with .011 strings (i have .010's on there now). i am looking for a great clean tone.

thanks again,

gregg.

ReplyQuote