Clear all

Squire Strat Electronic Problems

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When I play the three bass strings of my Squire strat I get an intermittent static sound from the amp. It is worst when I play the 6th string. I took off the pick guard and took a look. As far as I can tell, comparing it to a wiring diagram, everything seems to be solidly connected. I am not much of an electronics guy, so I was hoping someone might be able to give a suggestion as to the cause.

I already tried another amp, and I still had the same problem.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There are a few possibilities.

1) Could be a loose wire somewhere but you didn't see any. You could try re soldering all connections

2) The switch may be going. Does it do it in all settings?

3) Could be a bad pot. Try twisting each one fast back and forth and see if you get static.

4) Could be a loose cable jack. Make sure it is locked tight and both wires are connected. See if the tabs are hitting the cable tip and side correctly

5) Could be a pickup going. Again, do you get it with pickups switched out?

My guess is it is something loose somewhere since it is doing it when you hit the heavier strings which cause more vibration.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Nils,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been traveling with work, and unable to check this guitar out for the last week. Just before I left I discovered I did not get any static when using just the bridge pickup (5th position). I also got a small amount of static when I shook the volume knob (it appears to be a little loose). I will have to take a closer look at that switch when I get back.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Couple other thoughts would be the cord not making good contract and the volume and tone controls have dust in them. The vibrations maybe aggravating the symptoms.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Nils and forrok_star, for your suggestions. After playing with it for a while I thought I just had a bad switch. Before I attempted to replace it I tried shooting some compressed air into the switch. So far the problem appears to be gone. I guess a little dust can cause bigger problems than I thought.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome

Always good hear when thing turn for the best.

Joe

ReplyQuote