Clear all

Squire Vs Fender MIM Pickups

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just a little update. I took the pick-guard off the Squire. Seems it's got quite different cut outs than my MIM. I need to fish the wires through all the way from the pickup to the controls. But, removing the pick-guard revealed the pick-up height adjustment screws that are covered by the pick-guard on the Squire for some reason.

I did close to a full turn, got 'em up to "specs" per the little all inclusive Fender manual and gave it a go. Nice improvement on the tone. Really nice. I just kind of played and noodled with it for quite a while and decided to keep it as is. It seemed to be able to do anything I wanted it to due, within my own short-yellow-bus set of skills. I kind of hated to leave it there because of what everyone was saying and not wanting to waste you guys' time, but I like really it now.

That thin sounding 10" speaker on SCXD has got to go though. That's a different topic. :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Cool 8)

As long as you're happy - that's the goal :D

I don't feel that I wasted my time :wink:

Happy playing Roy,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ken!

Another positive outcome is that the volume knob sweet spot seems to have much wider range than before. It's good pretty much at 1/2 way now. Maybe even a touch less. Anything below 1/3rd is useless.

I tell ya, I continue to be impressed with the whole Tele thing. I know mine is bottom of the barrel line-up wise, but I'm finding it quite capable.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twangotango)

I just got one of those butterscotch Fender Special Edition '52 Telecasters from Guitar Center and it SMOKES! I really like the stock pickups, I was able to reverse the wiring, flip the magnets magnets, and switch the ground on the neck pickup cover... voila! Hum Cancelling in the middle position! (and it still sounds GREAT!)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2