Clear all

"Strat" 5-way switch replacement issue?

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@therev)
Topic starter  

This ought to be interesting...

Just for fun, I'm rebuilding an old "Squier II by Fender" guitar I've had around for years - the neck and body actually aren't bad at all (must have been before they went to uber-cheap manufacturing, I don't know), but the electronics were subpar and didn't age well, so I'm completely replacing all the electronics. The problem I'm having is this - the 5-way switch on the sucker was so badly corroded, I'm replacing it too - but I can't find a replacement that fits! It was just a standard "knife style" switch (not the later black "import" type you see online at parts houses), but the Fender replacement part is too large to fit in the pickguard slot!

So here's the problem: Now what? Should I attempt lengthening the pickguard slot and how??

(It's frustrating... I've rebuilt/repaired/modified a number of Gibsons and Gibson copies, but this Fender design is irritating me.) :)

(@therev)
Topic starter  

Just in case anyone stumbles across this with the same question, I ended up using the tiny saw on a "Leatherman tool to slightly extend the slot, then sanded off the burrs. Looks nice. :)

ReplyQuote