Clear all

Strat Copy sizes??

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello people. So I have myself a strat copy and I'm going to start working on modding it to my preferences. I want to change the pickguard to black. My first option was with buying a new one, however since it's a copy, would it fit? I have no idea if all strat pickguards are the same size or not. I know that some have 11 screw holes for mounting, and some have 8, but that's all I know. If they are different I'll probably end up spraying my current one :D

Cheers guys

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Depending on the brand, it could be, and probably is a lot diferent. I played that game before.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Even if the pickguard is the same size, or close enough to fit, the screw holes may (or may not) be in the wrong place. Or there may be a different umber of screw holes.

Or it might be a perfect fit.

About the only way to find out is to try it. Or at least get the parts in the same room, and see how close it is.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

The copies are not allowed to use the same screw hole positions as Fender, because Fender invented them, both the 8 holes, then 1962-era 11 holes, then the more modern 11 hole configuration. And they patented it and license the exact copies. Other makers, if they don't pay the license fee are almost guaranteed to be different. Yamaha and Peavey were the first to make major changes and to get away from having a true or near-match Strat copy, and Ibanez gave it up altogether with their Roadstar series. Squiers are different again, and Japanese Fenders are different from North American, including MIM. So many varieties and sources of copies - endless topic... :roll:

To solve the problem: you can drill holes if you don't mind a little work, changing your guitar and covering any old holes. :| I have done it a lot, although I don't like doing it, sometimes you just have to. I countersink the holes so the screws don't spread the hole when installing, and crack the thick polyester finishes. On lacquered guitars, I don't make invasive changes.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers for the replies guys. It's an Aria STG003, if anyone was interested. But from these replies i think i may have to roll back to the plan of just spraying my current one D:

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You could get a piece of uncut pickguard material and trace your existing one, to make a custom made one for yourself.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You can trace your existing pickguard, marking the holes and choose from all sorts of colors at WD Music, reasonable too, doesn't break the bank. I have had WD and also have Warmoth pickguards. They are very good - not "Wrong Dimensions".

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote