Clear all

Strat pole peices...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just got a new standard strat and I'm wondering how I can adjust the pole peices. I'm assuming I would have to remove the pick guard.

The high E and to the lesser extent the B string sound weaker than the bass strings. I've tried adjusting the pickup height but it really didn't help. Right now the pole peices are adjusted to be highest in the middle of the pups, as if following the radius of the fretboard.

-Metaellihead

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, you can adjust the strength of the signal created by each string by adjusting the height of the individual polepiece. Sometimes if you over adjust pickup height or poles pieces this can affect the intonation and tonality of your guitar. Not all pickups have there pole pieces adjustable. You will need to check your pickup to see if there small screws or hex (allen screw) adjustment for the pole pieces. If this is the case you can adjust the pole pieces on the pickup.

To raise your pole pieces loosen the screw or hex adjustment in very small increments so that you can see the pieces rise a bit. Raising the pole pieces in not recommended for some pickups. Adjustable pole pieces are mostly on Humbucker Pickups. You don't see to many adjustable pole pieces on single coil pickups. If they are adjustable don't raise the Pole Pieces to far this will negatively affect tone or tonality of your guitar.

If done correctly and in small increments you'll notice an improvment.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Fender Strat pups do not have adjustable polepieces in the usual sense. In the vintage and many subsequent designs, each polepiece is actually a magnet. If one knows what one is doing, it is possible to push the polepiece in (or out from the back), but there is a risk of damaging the pup. Unless you are confident, brave or can afford the possible damage, take it to a good tech to have this adjustment done.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Unless you are confident, brave or can afford the possible damage, take it to a good tech to have this adjustment done.

This was what I was thinking of doing to begin with, though it would be nice to know how it works myself. The pole peices in my pickups appear to be slugs unless they screw in from the bottom of the pups. Doubtful.

I'll have to take it in and talk to the guy about it. I have 30 days to go in for free adjustments at the shop (authorized dealer), if they mess it up I can make them fix it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I found out what the real problem was. The high E string wasn't centered on the saddle so that it didn't line up with the pole peice. I guess somebody did a killer bend on it and it got caught in one of the action adjustment screws. I rasied the treble side of the pickup and it helped.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote