Notifications
Clear all

Stripped gears

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarfaggort)
Topic starter  

When trying to tune up my bass, the gear clicks at a certain point and tunes down. My gears are stripped/worn down. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvpxQFNhxuQ

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like time to replace the tuning machines.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@guitarfaggort)
Topic starter  

Thank you. Is there any way to temporarily fix them until I get new ones?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

before you replace:

(0. is the string slipping around the post as you tune? I'm going to assume not -- but if it is, you need to correct that.)

1. does it have open-backed tuning machines? (if you can see worn gears, then it does). if so remove the string on the guilty tuner, and check the backside to see if the screw that attaches the gear to the capstan (string post) is fully tightened. if not, that's likely your problem. first grab the gear and capstan and rotate them in opposite directions until they "catch" properly. then tighten the screw. maybe add some Loktite to the screw. done.

2. if the tuning machines are sealed, then as Ric says, time to replace. no good suggestions for temporarily getting by ... but for open tuners, maybe slip some folded aluminum foil into the gears. detune a bit and retune to grab it and pull it into the gear teeth. copper wire or paper might work as well or better.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote