Clear all

Suggestions for single coils...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I need to pick up some agressive single-coil pickups that will fit into a bottom-routed guitar (ie, no pickguard)... what's the big dceal? Well, the route is pickup sized. In other words, there is no bottom "flange" opening for normal single coils. The openings look like those on a Carvin DC135. They are small - the exact same size as the pickup...

Regular pickups won't fit... it is a mid-80's Washburn that I'm revitailizing...

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an agressive metal sound. So far it seems like Lace pickups will fit, and Carvin singles...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Can't really see the picture well, but if you want a Metal tone, why not go with humbuckers? You can get humbuckers the size of a single coil, my Strat has both a Seymour Duncan HB at the neck and DiMarzio HB at the bridge both single coil sized.

I recommend DiMarzio pickups. They kick the you-know-what out of Seymour Duncans IMHO.

DiMarzio

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes... the problem is that I didn't see any DiMazrio's that would fit my opening. Here is a picture of he actual guitar.

Again, tough to see, but picture the opening as the single-coil openings in a Strat pickguard. The pickup fits in, but the small flange in the front that many pickups have that the wires run through won't fit.

For instance, the Seymour Duncan JB jr and Lil'59 will fit, but the Hot Rails won't fit because of the flange.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For instance, the Seymour Duncan JB jr and Lil'59 will fit, but the Hot Rails won't fit because of the flange.

I don't know what this is (described as a hot rail but it's not like the others), but it might work for you:
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat-Hot-Rails-Neck-Black-SHR-1n-P855C124.aspx

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Interesting... perhaps they re-designed the hot rails, because that looks like it would fit.

I also looked at these:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat-Pickup-Set-of-3-SSL-4-Quarter-Pound-P865C124.aspx

Has anyone used a Quarter Pound?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

That guitar looks great! It's very inspiring, I may just have to find me a cheap used guitar and get creative with it.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@vers1on)

How about the DiMarzio Fast Track 1? It's distortion is pretty strong and it's one of the hottest pickups I've ever played.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your problem is going to be to find pickups, without the wire brace - the flange at the side that stops the wires from being pulled out of the pickup.
Lace Sensors would fit, but may not have enough output for you.
The Seymour Duncan SLW-HS1B would also fit. Then, there are the Joe Barden's, but they come quite expensive.
I think you're probably going to have to trawl the manufacturer's sites to find pickups, without the flange.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote