5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jaiguru)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone.

I recently had a run in with a skunk. :D

It was bad.

My whole back porch got hosed and it smelled like a tire and garlic fire for days. The room directly off my back porch also happens to be my music room.

It's been a while since I was able to go in there and now that the smell is largely cleared up, I was eager to sit down with my guitars and peel the rust off my fingers. I was happily crunching away when I noticed it suddenly WREAKED of skunk again. I thought it was back and I said many bad words.

It wasn't the skunk.

Somehow, the funk has infused itself in my fretboard and on my strings. Like, in no subtle way, either. Obviously the strings need changed but before I do, what do I do about the wood? I know I shouldn't leave the strings off the neck so they're still on and every second longer I imagine is just that much more time for the funk of the ages to soak into my fretboard. :(

I've never had to fix a guitar problem like this and I don't want to screw it up. Does anyone have a clue what I should do here?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I dont think the solution to get skunk smell out would be good for your guitar so I would just change strings and then use a regular fretboard cleaner.

My dog got sprayed last year and it was every where in my car etc. I used the solution on her but the car I didn't even know where the skunk juice was to try and clean eventually it went away but it took awhile maybe a couple months before you couldn't smell it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Isn't tomato sauce used to get rid of the smell? Don't know if I would use it on a guitar though.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Wear a mask while playing, shower afterwards. :)

You can try changing the strings, but the fretboard's the porous bit, probably soaked it up already. Or maybe it's just that after being in there a while you've really begun to notice any residual smell. These things come out eventually, you could try oiling the fretboard with a bit of vigorous rubbing to see if that helps the process along.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tomato sauce is the old wives tale to get rid of it. It doesn't work. The solution to use is a qt of peroxide mixed with 1/4 cup baking soda and a drop of dish detergent.

It worked great on the dogs but I wouldn't put this on a guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote