Clear all

third string (G) problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@stocz2)
Topic starter  

Looking for some help,

I had just purchased my Ibanez GAX70 electric guitar just over a month ago. Purchased it directly from Guitar center.

When i play the g string open it sounds ok. But then when i practice playing the open E major chord, it sounds bad . I then press the g string on the the first fret only. Sounds really bad there also. It doesn't sound good until i get to the 5th fret. It is not a buzzing, or muted sound. It's not a clean, clear sound. It almost sounds like a dead fog horn. That rings alot longer then the other strings. Even to a beginner like myself. It should doesn't sound right.
I have tried lowering amd raising the action, but still no difference.
Retuned it after every adjustment.

If anyone can help, please do. If not i'll have to take it to GC and have them look at it.

thanks

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I wonder if the nut is cut too deep. ?
you should take it back. GC has a policy and I think you qualify.
now if you are forming a chord and the G does not sound right...check you finger position.
but if you just fret the G string all by itself and it sounds bad, then it is not your fretting a chord poorly.
if the latter definately return the guitar. let them give you no grief.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@stocz2)
Topic starter  

I want to thank everyone again,

The bad news is after i returned home from GC, i tried practicing on my guitar. I was getting the bad sound again. So, i gave up after that, and called it a day .

I tried practicing today, no changes made on the guitar. Only the pressure of my fingers. And guess what. YES, i am a newb. What a beautiful sound .
Did i mention what a newb i am ? I guess with the action lowered, i don't have to really give that much pressure on the strings. So with the less pressure, it sounded alot better. I then added the opened E, Am,D,A . Alot easier to do with the action lowered.
I don't really want to jump ahead of the lesson i'm on.
Thanks again
Cliff

ReplyQuote