Skip to content
Three gouges and a ...

Notifications
Clear all

Three gouges and a scratch on an acoustic, any hope?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cqreb)
Topic starter  

To make a long story short, my stupid dog bit my guitar, and left these beauties on it.

And a minor scratch going down the side, that I didn't take a picture of.
Is there any hope to repair these? Please, I'd really appreciate any advice.
This just happened, and on a scale of 1 to 10, my "ready to commit unspeakable horrors on my dog" meter is blowing 100.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Think of them as the scars of war. They're the sort of thing that makes for amusing stories around the camp fire. "This here's from fighting off 300 Al Qaeda terrorists, with only ma geetar 'n a Kyser capo fer a knuckle-duster - 'n this is where ma baby boy pooped in the sound hole - 'n this i where ma dawg thought I wuz beein ay-tacked by ma geetar.............."

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is that option, but you could try steaming them up, sanding and sealing them.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, you know, most of the guitarists I know are rather proud of their "war wounds", myself included. They make for great stories (real or not). But, honestly, how many guitarists can say that their dog bit their guitar? (Turn the old "Uh, the dog ate my homework" into "Uh, my dog tried to eat my guitar!" I can tell you where every nick and ding and scratch has come from on all of my guitars. I think they develop a little more personality with each wound. One guitarist I know has a bridge on a classical acoustic that won't stay in position (and he's too lazy or cheap to have it fixed), so he put bright blue tape over it to hold it down. The tape's been there for at least 10 years. Good tape. And the thing stays in tune! He says it plays better with the blue tape, so he plans to leave it that way!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote