Clear all

Tone control improvement

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there, the Tone control on my strat copy for the Bridge pickup is very... pointless, changing the control does not change the tone very noticeably at all.. I'd like to improve this.. How do i go about doing it ? D i add a Lower Resistor ? Higher capacitor ?

Cheers

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

On many (most) versions of the Strat, there is no tone control for the bridge pup (it's simply not connected): Master volume, tone for neck pup, tone for middle pup is the common arrangement. If you do a web search, I'm sure you will find wiring variations to support bridge tone control. One option is to convert the the two tone controls to passive treble and bass control for all switch positions. This is the way Leo had some of his G&L guitars designed -- I prefer it. If I find a diagram, I'll post a link to it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Converting one of the controls to bridge tone is ridiculously common, and quite simple, many diagrams exist on the net. The Eric Johnson signature strat comes from the factory wired this way.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

O right cool, i very rarely use the middle pick up.. so. Tone control on the bridge is probably a better option, as well as that my amp is very diverse in tone control so... i can adjust that for the very uncommon amount of times i use the middle. I'll work out how to do it without a diagram, cant be hard.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Another common mod for Strats is to swap the middle pickup tone control out for a "blender pot" and make the neck pickup tone control into a master tone control for the whole guitar. I've done this with my strat and I like it.

With this setup the blender pot works like this: with the blend pot at 10 the 5-way switch behaves just like a normal strat (1=neck, 2=neck+mid, 3=mid, 4=mid+bridge, 5=bridge). Position 3 stays middle pickup only no matter where the blend pot is; in positions 1,2,4 & 5 the blender pot adds in the pickup that's missing from standard Strat wiring. So in 1 & 2 the blend pot adds bridge in, in 4 & 5 the blend pot adds neck in. The result is that you can get the two combinations that aren't available in the standard strat wiring scheme (bridge + neck; all three pickups together).

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a little more informatin on the subject.

Blend Pot Wiring

Blend Pots

Blender Pot PDF file

Joe

ReplyQuote