Clear all

Trouble with a Strat mod

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've gotten the itch to mod my strat. Added a push/pull pot at the volume control put it back together and nothing. Thing I may have torched the pot while soldering a couple of grounds to it. How would I go about testing it to see if it still works? Would I use an Ohm meter or a curcuit tester? I found plenty of sites dealing with wiring but nothing on trouble shooting. Ah well.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Annoyin', ain't it? :x Just keep telling yourself, if it was too easy, it wouldn't be any fun.

An ohmmeter will work as a circuit ("continuity") tester, but the circuit tester can only tell you if something has an unbroken path between two points. If the meter shows zero resistance between any two points, then you've got continuity, i.e., a "good" circuit. Once you know the switch portion of the push/pull pot is still working, the meter would help check any problems with the variable resistor (tone/volume) portion of it.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Use an ohmmeter. The resistance across the two outside posts should stay the same (whatever the pot's max resistance is) no matter how you turn the knob. Measuring between the middle and each end should go from 0 to max resistance when you turn the knob (when middle to one side is 0, middle to the other should be max, and opposite when you turn the knob all the way the opposite direction). Make sense?

TZ

ReplyQuote