Notifications
Clear all

Two questions from a newbie

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ryanc614)
Topic starter  

Hey just started playing and just restrung my guitar. Two questions, Im a little paranoid because I got myself a nice new Washburn.

1. When I restrung the guitar, the pins are not completely parallel, what I mean is that the slits are not completely straight ahead. I dont think this really matters but I want someone elses opinion. Otherwise, it sounds freaking great with new Martin strings.

2. How many times can you restring a guitar, it seems like ever time you push those little rings through it will ruin that part of the guitar over the long run.

Ryan

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Parallel is good, but not critical. Almost all the string vibration gets transferred through the saddle and bridge, so having them off won't affect your tone. If they're WAY off you might find the string breaking sooner, or a sudden shift down in pitch if the pin is off enough to have force against the slot, but I'd doubt that will happen.

You can restring more than enough times. One of my acoustics I've probably restrung 350-400 times now - I've had it about 25 years. Over time the strings will wear on the saddle, but it won't be enough to affect your playing or the way it holds the strings... the pupose of the pin is just to hold the ball end against the saddle block (which sits inside the guitar right under the bridge)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ryanc614)
Topic starter  

thanks a lot for your reply

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Maybe if youre stringing it with like, 15'gauge strings it will do some damage to the guitar, but that would be obvous bending and youd see it... any wear caused by strings on the bridge, hell, thats what bridges are for, to take the wear, so dont sweat it, you can replace it in 20years if you stil have the guitar.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote