6 Users
0 Likes
(@jafarguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is it OK? Any good? :D

Watch me play

(@alangreen)

Do you own the sites in your signature? If so, we're happy to talk about taking your paid advertising. If not, please remove them.

There are probably thousands of reasons why you should not use olive oil on your guitar. I don't know what those reasons are but the whole concepts screams "No".

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jafarguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. Has there been any report that it has actually damaged the guitar?
LOL I already used it on my 2500 US Dollars Yamaha Classic fretboard

Watch me play

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

It should be fine - I would thin it. I've used thin vegetable oil for finishing woodwork that can't contain metals - like bowls and utensils. But veg. oil is a perfectly good alternative to teak oil or dutch oil and has been used in wood working for thousands of years. Linseed oil and most boiled oils I would avoid as they become tacky and attract dust. Just be sure to rub with the grain after application and give it 24hrs.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

And I use lemon oil on rose wood (common grocery store stuff) The olive oil might build up too much on very dense wood - it should cut with rubbing alcohol. Next time use lemon oil on the fret board -

ReplyQuote
(@jafarguitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks

This lemon oil I can't find it in any where in grocery !

I just mixed olive Oil + half a fresh lemon juce for another guitar fret :D

Was what I used actually LEMON OIL ? :wink:

Watch me play

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I haven't bought it in years - one container has gone at least a decade - but I think it was with cleaning agents and detergents. I don't know how to make lemon oil. I can make lemon pudding and lemon aid and lemon meringue but I buy my oils ready made.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I haven't bought it in years - one container has gone at least a decade - but I think it was with cleaning agents and detergents. I don't know how to make lemon oil. I can make lemon pudding and lemon aid and lemon meringue but I buy my oils ready made.
Yes, you wi;ll find it with cleaners, and furnature polish. Thats what its normaly used for. I also have a bottle thats probably old enough to buy beer.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@spiritboy)

I would say no on the olive oil. Some guitars have a "nitro" lacquer finish (especially vintage guitars) and these can react chemically with different oils and solvents with absolutely horrifying results. A friend of mine left a stick of incense on his vintage Martin and the oils and solvents in it ate right through the finish. I don't think olive oil will do this but just go spend a few bucks for some guitar polish that's safe for lacquer finishes to be safe.

ReplyQuote
(@slip-skunk)

Olive oil is a no no it will go sticky but grapeseed oil is good on wood. My other hobby is building furniture, my other hobby is motorbike riding hmm ok!

ReplyQuote