Clear all

VintageTone capacitor question for Strat

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@67gretsch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If you have had experience with replacing /substituting various tone capacitors in Stratocasters - I would like to hear from you.
Here is my line up of equipment: Strat with Texas Specials,Tube Screamer Ts808, '66 Fender Blackface Bassman. 8)
The Strat I am using for this is a 1987 MIJ (oly white /maple neck- no that this is of any real importance)
The tone I am trying to dial in is that Texas blues - vintage, fluid, harmonic,lush sound.
The tone caps of the 50's were I understand paper in oil type and are considered to be the best sond quality - very linear with no wave at all - clear true tone.
Any thoughts on capacitor swapping - any EXPERIENCE in this arean?
:idea: I could buy a true vintage cap and run the risk of it being shot etc. OR- is there a company who has reissues of the old stock chicklet types that Fender used in the 50's?
:idea: I also have an old Bogen 5Watt mono audio system from the early 50's with all original tubes and caps - could I take a capacitor from it and use it in the Strat? :?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

No idea, but I suggest you post your questions at the Guitar Nuts forum. Those guys are, well, nuts! And very helpful, too. :D
http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/index.cgi

Also, Angela distributes Jensen-made paper-in-oil caps. You can call them and ask what type they recommend.
http://www.angela.com/catalog.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@67gretsch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Slej.
I am familiar with GuitarNuts and will check them out.
The suggested Angela siet is GREAT - I emailed them this AM and will wait to hear his suggestions. I think I will buy one of their .047/630 caps for my strat and give it a try.
Thanks again!! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It would be interesting to hear a side-by-side comparison of the before and after.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote