Clear all

wearing out my fretboard?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a nylon string guitar. I picked it up in a thrift shop for $35, so I know nothing about it, except it is likely not very high quality.
But it works for me. And I won't be able to afford another instrument for awhile.

My problem is that I am noticing wear on the wood between the frets. It does not seem to affect the playing of the guitar, since it seems the nylon strings are protecting the wood lying directly under the string. This means that the wear is between the strings.

I am wondering if there is something I can do to slow down this process?

It is occuring more between the higher pitched strings.

(@kc0bbq)
Eminent Member

Is it just gunk buildup? Might try a good cleaning and then a light coating of lemon oil to see if it looks better or not.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My guess: it isn't wear on the wood - it's wear on the paint. Many inexpensive guitars have painted fretboards - that way they can use really cheap wood, but make it look sort of like ebony. It's even more common on nylon string guitars, at least in my experience.

The fact that it's 'wearing' between the strings is the big clue. Your fingertips are slowly rubbing off the paint. Fingertips are rough enough to do that - but not really hard enough to wear away the wood.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay. I will hope it is just paint or varnish I am wearing through.

Iwill also be more diligent in clipping my nails.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Of course! The died fretboard. Just keep on playing!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Now that I think about it, it is a GOOD thing- I have owned the guitar for over a decade, and this problem developed in the last month, guess I have used the guitar more in the last month than the last 10 years. lol

ReplyQuote