Clear all

White "powder" in pickup cavity?

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I recently purchased a Jay Turser SG style elect. I was removing all the protective plastic from everything, & I had to remove one of the pickups to get some of the plastic off of it.

Inside the pickup cavity there is a white powder all over the place. No, it's not that! :mrgreen:
Is this some sort of shielding stuff that I should let there?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What color is the finish?
It may be sanding dust from the finishing process?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It is the cherry red Model - JT 55
http://www.musiclandcentral.com/jaytujtsgelg.html

I thought it might be sanding dust. Seems odd that they wouldn't blow it out or something. At any rate, I wiped it out, as it is just kinda laying in there...

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

'course it could be that other kind of white powder. :twisted:
Try playing "The Smugglers' Blues" on it, and see if the guitar already knows the tune. :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

'course it could be that other kind of white powder. :twisted:
Try playing "The Smugglers' Blues" on it, and see if the guitar already knows the tune. :lol:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've noticed this on a bunch of different guitars though, so t probably is something to do with the finishing process. Nothing to worry about, at any rate.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My Gibson came with white powder in the crevices. Saw a bit in the headstock nooks of my "Yellow Peril" lap steel, too. Polishing compound.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 It's the remnants of buffing/polishing compound with maybe some clearcoat (e.g., polyurethane) leavings mixed in. As mentioned, it's a common find in the body cavities.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, enough said - polishing compound/urethane coat sanding remains. That is what it looks like. Anyway, I might as well give an opinion of this "axe" since I started the thread. I recently purchased it on craigslist, leftover music store stock, went out of business. Brand New, still in original box.

Strung a set of Dean Markley Sig. Series 10-46 on it. Action set nice & low, just the way I like it. Intonation set, sounds pretty good, except... The pickups (P90's)are just wood screwed into the body, no real good way to properly adjust the height.

Right now they have a foam pad on the underside of them to set them to height. I suppose I could fashion some sort of adjusting setup, but I may just resell it...don't know...haven't decided yet.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I'm a bit late on the white powder....

Though;
They make matching color 'shims' for adjusting dogears.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Right now they have a foam pad on the underside of them to set them to height. I suppose I could fashion some sort of adjusting setup, but I may just resell it...don't know...haven't decided yet.

(These sound like soapbar, not dogear, C'noir.)

Screwing the two mounting screws in/out is the way to adjust the height for soapbar P90s. Dense, open cell foam is the modern replacement for coil adjusting springs. The problem is the foam has limited memory and doesn't always re-expand enough to "raise" the height (back out mounting screws) if the pup has been screwed down low for some time. Or the maker simply didn't put in a thick enough piece of foam. I just had to add a layer of foam to one of my p90 guitars to raise the pup. Really dense weather stripping foam will work in a pinch.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

(These sound like soapbar, not dogear, C'noir.)

LOL!!!!

Jeez.... I could have sworn that I read something about 'dogear'....?
I re-read all the posts.... nadda!

I see the guitar in question is an SG type;
Wow! Maybe it's time for some new glasses - sorry.

Thankx for the catch Greg :D
And, you can call me Zen! 8)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Screwing the two mounting screws in/out is the way to adjust the height for soapbar P90s. Dense, open cell foam is the modern replacement for coil adjusting springs. The problem is the foam has limited memory and doesn't always re-expand enough to "raise" the height (back out mounting screws) if the pup has been screwed down low for some time. Or the maker simply didn't put in a thick enough piece of foam. I just had to add a layer of foam to one of my p90 guitars to raise the pup. Really dense weather stripping foam will work in a pinch.
Yup, that's it. The neck p/up was screwed down really far, so I guess the foam took a set in the "smashed" position. I will back them out, maybe add more foam if I need to raise it more.

You say this is the modern adjusting method? Seems kinda cheesy to me. I guess a $1000 guitar would probably have a better setup... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Maybe. You can't see the foam.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Nice looking guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I noticed that when I was fixing the P pickups on my nephews bass ....... crumby foam! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2