setup on squier 51 - buzz (or rattle) in bridge

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello - i'm trying to get my squier 51 into playing shape. i've changed strings (1st time on an electric) to 10s, tuned it, adjusted the truss rod, tuned, checked intonation, and adjusted the intonation by moving the bridge. the action is pretty nice now just by doing these things.

i'm running into a problem where sometimes some strings, when plucked, have a small (but still audible) amount of buzz, something that almost sounds like a rattle. i have a feeling that it's coming from the bridge b/c it happens after i did the intonation. it happens mostly (if not always) with the strings open (unfretted). i don't think this is b/c of "fret buzz" as the string isn't touching any of the frets when plucked (the action isn't that low).

has anyone else had this before? one thing i note is that the screws in the bridge now (might have been before too) are right on top of the strings so that the string, coming up from under the screw, are tight up against the screw before being in the groove and then going over the pickups. i might be able to get some pictures later if needed. when i look at pictures of other strats there is space between the string and the screw, but on this one it doesn't seem possible to do this. could this be causing the rattle, and if so, is there anything i can do (short of getting a different bridge)?

any ideas/suggestions? thanks.

paul

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Check to make sure your saddle height adjustment screws are making good contact; on some '51s they weren't milled properly (too small for the holes) and could rattle even when string pressure was applied. A little drop of blue Loctite (not the red permanent type) will hold them more snuggly.

Lots of folks have replaced the '51 bridge with one from Guitarfetish; supposedly it's a good upgrade for little money.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check to make sure your saddle height adjustment screws are making good contact; on some '51s they weren't milled properly (too small for the holes) and could rattle even when string pressure was applied. A little drop of blue Loctite (not the red permanent type) will hold them more snuggly.

Lots of folks have replaced the '51 bridge with one from Guitarfetish; supposedly it's a good upgrade for little money.

Yup, its a great upgrade for the $12-15 dollars or so. :)

Glad to see these '51s are still out there being used....... I know I still like mine.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks - i'll look into both suggestions. for the bridge, any suggestions on a good suitable replacement (in the $12 to $15 range)? i'm looking for something that won't (if possible) require me to drill into the guitar as i'm new to modding, even an easy mod like this.

when you're referring to the saddle height adjustment screws, you mean (sorry - my vocab with guitar stuff isn't great yet) the two tiny screws that are in each string compartment on either side of the groove that the string goes over in the bridge? i'm assuming so b/c they seem to be the items that adjust the height of the strings. i just don't know what tool to use to adjust them.

thanks!

paul

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yup, that's them. you need a tiny little allen screw to turn them. I've only got these from buying graph-tech saddles (you get one in each pack), but they're surely available elsewhere.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've got the same problem on one of my '51s. I have to tighten the height adjustment screw on the top string about every 2-3 hours of playing time. At some point in the future I'm going to replace the bridge w/ the one you guys were talking about.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Instead of replacing the bridge, I converted it to string-through-body on two of my '51s and bridge rattling is completely gone, as there is now much greater downward force on the bridge saddles. Of course you will need a drill press, bits and $6 worth of string ferrule for the conversion:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

thanks - i'll look into both suggestions. for the bridge, any suggestions on a good suitable replacement (in the $12 to $15 range)? i'm looking for something that won't (if possible) require me to drill into the guitar as i'm new to modding, even an easy mod like this.

when you're referring to the saddle height adjustment screws, you mean (sorry - my vocab with guitar stuff isn't great yet) the two tiny screws that are in each string compartment on either side of the groove that the string goes over in the bridge? i'm assuming so b/c they seem to be the items that adjust the height of the strings. i just don't know what tool to use to adjust them.

thanks!

paul

Guitar Fetish:
Chrome Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit.html
Black Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit1.html
Gold Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit2.html

No Driling required. I have a gold one on mine and it works great.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Guitar Fetish:
Chrome Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit.html
Black Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit1.html
Gold Bridge: http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit2.html

No Driling required. I have a gold one on mine and it works great.

Admittedly a string-through-body conversion is not exactly trivial, and a no-drilling solution is attractive. However,IF you are willing to go through with it, the string-through-body anchoring conversion produces a substantial improvement over top loading string-though-bridge in terms of overall resonance and sustain -- whether a GF bridge or the original.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i took the guitar back to my place of purchase and they did a free setup. however, i still get some rattle when i pick, especially the 6th string. is this something that i just might have to live with with this guitar, or something that i should take back to the place to re-setup (i only ask b/c it is a distance to go back there). thanks!

paul

ReplyQuote