Notifications
Clear all

Wiring in a Mini-humbucker

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@goldilox)
Topic starter  

Hi all. I've been having some problems with the mini humbucker on my electro-resonator. I'm fairly certain they're solder-joint related but I thought I'd upgrade the pickup while I was at it. So the beef is - my shiny new GFS mini humbucker has 5 wires coming out of it Black(ground), Silver(ground), Green(+), Red & White (connected together). However the humbucker on the guitar has only white and silver conectors, both going to the pan pot. Any help on how I wire my new pickup in would be gratefully recieved....

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

connect both black and the shield (silver) both to ground all the way over at the pot. green will replace the original white (both are the hot or +). the red and white should remain connected together and insulated to keep from inadvertently "touching" something else (like ground).

the only reason you would connect the red + white to anything is if you wished to create a "tapped" or single coil mode. that's usually done by connecting a switch between from the red + white node (still soldered together) and ground. closing the switch will then short one of the coils of the series-connected pair (humbucker's wiring), leaving only a "single coil." not often done on mini-humbuckers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That be the way. I just put a Duncan Hotrails in my Strat a couple months ago. I think it took about 15-20 mins tops and most of that was just to take the crews out of the pickguard. Soldering took seconds.

In this was all done by me who hasn't used a soldering iron in years nor ever taken my guitar apart before.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@goldilox)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I'm off work tomorrow so will wire it in then. I'd also hoped to swap the pots for some better quality ones while I was at it, however it would appear 500k pots are now worthy of the same funny look I get when I ask for .13 gauge strings (you know I'm sure the fact that they come as standard on most Les Pauls should mean they aren't that weird a thing to ask for...)

ReplyQuote